Dove 11/12

Shooter7

Aug 8, 2016
Orange County
Went out for the 2nd season dove opener down in Calexico. Good amount of opportunities but only came back with 1 (should have practiced more). I think this is the last time I head down there this year. Think I'll give San Jacinto a try next weekend for giggles.

I did see a few hunting groups with decoys. Do those dove decoys really draw 'em in? Heard just as much shooting from them as our group but thought I'd pose the question.

If you are close to th "X" then it seams to pull the into range and keep there attention while you blast them. If your not even close to the "x" then I don't think they do much. BUT the mojos work the best but I also use the clip ons. Can't hurt anything but the wallet.

Went out for the 2nd season dove opener down in Calexico. Good amount of opportunities but only came back with 1 (should have practiced more). I think this is the last time I head down there this year. Think I'll give San Jacinto a try next weekend for giggles.

I did see a few hunting groups with decoys. Do those dove decoys really draw 'em in? Heard just as much shooting from them as our group but thought I'd pose the question.
Yup.. buy a Mojo Voodoo dove and a couple clipons. Worth it.

me and my son did well. 2 full limits and a Rat.

.IMG_1119.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed on the Mojos, they do pull the birds in close enough to get a shot off on them.

Met up with a buddy yesterday in the Bakersfield area and brought home 5.

the Mojo works great. Got a new toy

to go with the Mojo. It works great. 20160903_182254.jpg

My God Steve, they were coming in like they did in the 70's. 30 and 40 at a time, i was laughing so hard when i couldn't figure out which one to shoot and didn't fire a shot. we left the spot still flying thick. insane fun. the great thing was the owner gave us permission then came back by and brought us drinks and thanked us for picking up our empties. he saw my rake and chuckled.

My God Steve, they were coming in like they did in the 70's. 30 and 40 at a time, i was laughing so hard when i couldn't figure out which one to shoot and didn't fire a shot. we left the spot still flying thick. insane fun. the great thing was the owner gave us permission then came back by and brought us drinks and thanked us for picking up our empties. he saw my rake and chuckled.

Big Jim, How often do you find that when you ask for permission the property owner grants access?

More often than not. its all about the attitude. this place wasn't posted nor was it on a named road but i still checked in.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu