Dove Opener Newbies

Not a newbie but I did get in my first scouting of the season. The Game Bird Fields did not seem to have been mowed or manipulated yet , but did have some birds. Found a few locations to keep an eye on over the next few weeks. Lots of White Wings in some areas so I hope the weather cooperates. More scouting planned for the next few weeks.

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Not a newbie but I did get in my first scouting of the season. The Game Bird Fields did not seem to have been mowed or manipulated yet , but did have some birds. Found a few locations to keep an eye on over the next few weeks. Lots of White Wings in some areas so I hope the weather cooperates. More scouting planned for the next few weeks.
This is my 3rd season and very much still a newbie. Just found out my spot is being subjected to application/drawings and since i dont have a junior hunter in my party, im ineligible to apply. At least thats the way i understand it. So need to start scouting

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Soo for you newbs .... if your going to the iv (not really a good place for doves anyway) the heritage fields are your best bet or plaster city. No where else in the whole valley have I seen more evidence of shooting dove Then the heritage fields. Loads of guys and loads of shells and beer cans on the ground. I'll be out in my big blue super duty crew cab. If you see me driving around don't fallow me most likely I have no idea where I'm going. Just toot the horn and wave hi.

Also if that was you last year that walked into my spot that I set up at 4am and you come walking in at sun rise I'm not leaving this year I'm going to break out the ARs and shoot some targets all morning. And sky bust anything that gets within 200 yards. And maybe sling some donuts in the truck.

Be safe guys.

Any newbies planning on getting together for the dove opener

There will be a lot of folks down in IV. Mainly because that is where the majority of birds are. I am sure there are a few folks on here willing to head down and hunt. Go the weekend before and scout the fields. Make sure you have a plan A, B, C and D in place. A tank of gas spent will pay dividends opening weekend.

And ya, if you see GSPmans truck, sling donuts or whatever you have at him. He is an ambassador for the sport of hunting.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I haven't hunted the dove opener for like 5 years. I will be archery deer hunting that weekend. If I go down dove hunting it will be opening week in the evening no boneheads normally. Opener is just not fun for me anymore especially with the boys. To many inconsiderate one day a year "hunters".
Not to mention big game has ruined my life my dog must hate me. Dove are the last thing on my mind right now. Tags are haunting my dreams. She will get worked in December and January. As long as I don't decide to archery hunt coues and Javelina in AZ ;-)

Donuts...yumm. Toss any extra shells my way to. I also like jerky.

I do hope it is known and realized that my post above was meant as sarcasm. As a long time hunter and coming from a family of hunters i have witnessed a total lack of respect for hunting, hunting grounds and laws over the years as im sure we all have. Sometimes one must vent. I take new guys out every year try and help them along. ive taught my 3 kids and my 3rd grand child will start getting out in the field next year. Thank GOD we have never had an accident of any kind, never left trash and never had issues with wardens or land owners.

I hope all guys new and experienced have a great season. I think its going to be the best one of the last few years.

Last edited:
I've been taking my oldest daughter for 7 yrs now, and daughters 3 and 4 start this year. I teach them leave it cleaner then it was when we get started, always be safe, no DOVE is worth going to the hospital.
Take a kid DOVE hunting, they will be hooked for life.

BE SAFE

Reactions: Gspman
PB870 the above information is great for the IV, but will work in any locale, and scouting is very important especially close to the opener. I divide the IV up into areas and scout each of the areas. In each area have an A,B.C & D locations mapped out. If you get to A and there are too many people go to B & C as needed. Try not to have an A spot in one area and your B spot 45 min away you will be late arriving. Leave early, pack out everything you take into the field and anything you find left in the field, move to other scouted locations as needed, watch out for low birds and your shooting lanes, stay safe and most of all have some fun since we have waited a while for this day to come!!!

PB870 the above information is great for the IV, but will work in any locale, and scouting is very important especially close to the opener. I divide the IV up into areas and scout each of the areas. In each area have an A,B.C & D locations mapped out. If you get to A and there are too many people go to B & C as needed. Try not to have an A spot in one area and your B spot 45 min away you will be late arriving. Leave early, pack out everything you take into the field and anything you find left in the field, move to other scouted locations as needed, watch out for low birds and your shooting lanes, stay safe and most of all have some fun since we have waited a while for this day to come!!!
Thank you Shot Slinger. I'll definitely take your advise

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu