Duck ammo help?

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
Hi all I am about to go duck hunting and I have a 410 shotgun and was wondering what ammo brand of ammo would be recommended for the best spread of the bbs? Thanks

ktkheatsfan said:
Hi all I am about to go duck hunting and I have a 410 shotgun and was wondering what ammo brand of ammo would be recommended for the best spread of the bbs? Thanks
I'd say get either a 12 or 20 Gauge for duck hunting don't bother with a .410

D16hunter said:
ktkheatsfan said:
I'd say get either a 12 or 20 Gauge for duck hunting don't bother with a .410

+1.............26 inch.

Whatever you choose, pattern your gun.

I also suggest leaving the .410 at home, unless you're a great shot, been duck hunting for years, and are looking for a challenge. Besides the novelty of it, a .410 really has no place in a duck blind.

I don't know what your situation is, but if the .410 is your only gun, consider buying a new gun. I'd suggest a Remington 870 for a new waterfowler. They are inexpensive and durable. A new one will run you about 300 or so. I have about 10 shotguns and my go-to on any duck hunt is my beat up 870. I'm deadly with it!

And back to ammo. Pattern your gun at 20 and 40 yards. With my 12 gauge 870 with a modified choke I like the 3" Heavy Metal #3 or 3" winchester blindside #3. I was skeptical of the winchester blindside shells. I thought the cubed shot was dumb, but I have dropped many ducks this season, even at long range with the blindside. Even got two geese. I've switched to blindside now from Heavy Metal, in order to save a few bucks. Kent fasteel is another great option. It's more about shot placement than anything. The rest might just be marketing.

Good luck.

If you wanna get a 3 1/2 consider getting an 870 super magnum their the same as an 870 more or less same price and you get the same durability and reliability

D16hunter said:
If you wanna get a 3 1/2 consider getting an 870 super magnum their the same as an 870 more or less same price and you get the same durability and reliability

And, if you go with a pump in that 3 1/2" gun.......Consider putting a Limbsaver on it......Your shoulder will appreciate it....... ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu