Duck Call Preference - Wood or Acrylic and Why ?

I'm looking for some opinions on your duck call preference, Wood or Acrylic and Why ?

I have recently renewed my interest in starting back into my old hobby, of making duck calls. Years back, I was making banded, wooden duck call barrels, buying, modifying and tuning Echo call inserts. This time, I'd like to take a larger step, towards becoming a real duck call maker, by designing my own call insert, having a tool jig machined, then modifying and refining it, all to develop my own complete duck call design, with a unique and solid functional sound.

If I get some positive feedback on Acrylic calls, I will look into what's all involved to turn and finish an Acrylic call. I've seen a few made on youtube and I'm pretty sure I have all the tools. If not, and it's too much of a learning curve and cost, I'll just stick with wood.

Honestly, this is only an occasional hobby. I really enjoy dinkin' around my workshop making new things. I am not looking to sell these, as I did years back. I sold enough to pay for my material cost, but it's just too much of a hassle and not worth the time or effort, so I just gave the rest away to kids and as auction donations. I am only looking for opinions and preferences. Thanks! Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the call you gave me years ago Kenny. And glad to see you rear your head on SCH. I use both wood and acrylic. They each definitely have a different sound. I like the way wood feels and sounds. Warmer for sure. Not necessarily better, just like wood. Good luck brother and stay in touch!

I don't use any wooden ducks calls these days, but still like my short reed, wood honker calls (Tim Grounds & Josh Kettl).......... :blush:

ps...Just thinking out loud...A good widgeon or pintail wooden whistle may be cool...Either Murillo style or Faults...Even Herter's made a pintail/widgeon whistle.

.IMG_1136.JPG

I don't use any wooden ducks calls these days, but still like my short reed, wood honker calls (Tim Grounds & Josh Kettl).......... :blush:

ps...Just thinking out loud...A good widgeon or pintail wooden whistle may be cool...Either Murillo style or Faults...Even Herter's made a pintail/widgeon whistle.

.View attachment 54210

Hey Steve, which Tim Grounds goose call do you have? I have two acrylic Half Breeds, one cocobolo Half Breed and one of his original acrylic flutes. All of them are great but I do like the cocobolo Half Breed the best.

I also have an acrylic Fred Zink short reed call a really like.

Love the call you gave me years ago Kenny. And glad to see you rear your head on SCH. I use both wood and acrylic. They each definitely have a different sound. I like the way wood feels and sounds. Warmer for sure. Not necessarily better, just like wood. Good luck brother and stay in touch!
Ha!....that was a few years ago ;) Hopefully it's still pulling in the ducks. Lots of things have changed for me, so I'm getting back to hobies I really enjoy. Agree, I am partial to wood calls myself. Acrylic has a unique sound, that really works and sounds solid. Miss talking everything hunting, especially archery and waterfowl. I'll be hanging around this forum a bit more for sure. Nice to hear from you. !

Reactions: NBK

.View attachment 54210
You read my mind. I have always liked that Murillo call. It would be a challenge to figure out how to make that on my wood lathe. I have a few ideas...may make a little firewood in the process. Ha! Good thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

Back