Ducks were flying then dying...finally

2dogs1name

May 10, 2015
Corona
www.youtube.com
It’s 2am on Saturday a morning...the weather forecast was cool temps, some light rain and a bit and wind. Every waterfowl hunter thinks of one thing in that moment...kill em!

So, with no resse I get up, dressed, packed up and headed to San J. Made it by 2:50 and Tom promptly went over the rules at 3am like he always does...

The place was packed (I’m not the only one with a weather app apparently :) ) It was a cold 40 degrees due to wind and I finally signed in to the sweat line...Josh ran the magic program and I came up #14...uh oh. With so many guys/gals showing up I was not sure I’d make the first cut...as it turned out, most of the ressies we foursomes and there were enough no-shows (I will never understand that btw) to get me on.

Now many of you know there are a few good blind locations at San J, but more not-so-good...by the time I was called, only the Walker ponds were left which is rightfully called the sky buster zone...Fine, I’ll take it...4:40am I finally get off and head to the blind...met John another SCH member who was the next blind over so I knew he would not skybust...it was actually a nice blind and well covered.

Get the decoys set (I only use 12 or so at SJ) and we are ready for the horn.
6bb2be96668ffdff0257e5eefbf9b77a.jpg

e1ef6786a02ca9c05d86cca5371a58aa.jpg

After some coffee I get the shells loaded and at 6:14 the horn blows...I already have two teal swimming towards the decoys...scare them to jump and boom...3 shots, 2 down. It’s a boomfest as you all know...shots flying everywhere...birds are all over for the first time in awhile...every blind around me is dropping them...

At 7am light rain and wind pick up...picture perfect morning! So happy I chose to get up and go...can’t kill ducks at home ;)

a38a3b934930517e9ded8d120833c807.jpg

It’s 2am on Saturday a morning...the weather forecast was cool temps, some light rain and a bit and wind. Every waterfowl hunter thinks of one thing in that moment...kill em!

So, with no resse I get up, dressed, packed up and headed to San J. Made it by 2:50 and Tom promptly went over the rules at 3am like he always does...

The place was packed (I’m not the only one with a weather app apparently :) ) It was a cold 40 degrees due to wind and I finally signed in to the sweat line...Josh ran the magic program and I came up #14...uh oh. With so many guys/gals showing up I was not sure I’d make the first cut...as it turned out, most of the ressies we foursomes and there were enough no-shows (I will never understand that btw) to get me on.

Now many of you know there are a few good blind locations at San J, but more not-so-good...by the time I was called, only the Walker ponds were left which is rightfully called the sky buster zone...Fine, I’ll take it...4:40am I finally get off and head to the blind...met John another SCH member who was the next blind over so I knew he would not skybust...it was actually a nice blind and well covered.

Get the decoys set (I only use 12 or so at SJ) and we are ready for the horn.
View attachment 34002

View attachment 34003

After some coffee I get the shells loaded and at 6:14 the horn blows...I already have two teal swimming towards the decoys...scare them to jump and boom...3 shots, 2 down. It’s a boomfest as you all know...shots flying everywhere...birds are all over for the first time in awhile...every blind around me is dropping them...

At 7am light rain and wind pick up...picture perfect morning! So happy I chose to get up and go...can’t kill ducks at home ;)

View attachment 34004
Nice! Glad for your success. Thanks for the cool report.

Reactions: 2dogs1name

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu