Ducks

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
Hunted the boat unit at Wister for easy limits of teal, mallards and bull bootlips. Super pretty morning with s cool rainbow just as the sun came up. Sure would be nice to see the cotton tops and sprig show up
853DFA98-1025-4A2A-B8E5-60831502E571-4289-0000028B68DF1DE8.jpg

9819A476-4D01-489F-84ED-7CC7A4D06EB1-4289-00000283A5AF9390.jpg

Was a strange day hunt wise but a great day dog wise. Tia hit on all cylinders today. Started out with a few no big deal retrieves. As the morning wore on she completed all things you want from a lab. Marked birds that went long and fell in super heavy cover. Pure blinds on birds across water and 10 yards deep in cover. Multiples spread out over a big area. Over and over we would dump birds on the far side of the water in a tangle of salt cedar and tules. She would mark them swim over and go just down wind. Each time popping out with the bird, missing some of her own fur in the process. The last three birds of the day were the best. A teal came in at Mach 5 and I dropped it to my left. She was 15 yards deep in the tules when my dad dropped a hen teal then right after a nice drake mallard, both were on the far opposite side. She had no way to even see or hear anything fall. She stuck on the bird she was after and returned to the boat. We had birds working so we kept her in and figured we would try to find them later.

When it was time to pick up I fired the boat up and pushed over to where the birds had fallen. You could see her get excited and I started her routine for a cold blind. Lauching her with the back command she ripped off the boat and bounced off the salt cedar. The crashed forward again till she pushed through. I corrected one time with a extra back to get her farther in and them just sat back. She worked the area from down wind up. Then the tell tail snort! She came crashing out with a big green head. I was yelling like we won the super bowl. Now on to the teal, up river about 40 yards and deeper. Lined up and sent her back. 10 yards of tules backed with salt cedars a grown man can't push through. After a couple min she came out with the tiny teal in her mouth.

It may not have been the best hunting day ever but today my little Tia kicked ass. All the things we work on over the off season fell into place. start to finish she delivered a command performance.

And yeah I'm still hyped up over it.

That is just awesome. Sounds like an epic outing. It feels so good when a dog comes to full potential. Thanks for the play by play - your friggin' stoked!!

very nice!!! i think i might have to go back down this weekend

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu