Early Morning Hog in Glenville.

BakoHNTR

Jun 4, 2016
b22957504643e2fdb06f84301c3d52d3.jpg

Got a last minute invite to check on some possible hogs running through a friends property, knocked this guy down at first light. I love when a plan comes together...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé
ilovesprig said:
Congrats......2:30 am?.......Early morning indeed........lol
Hahaha. Truth be told this was from 5/22. Couldn't sleep and finally got the taptotalk app so I went for it. First post!!! Lol.

Thanks! I've been reading posts for a while now, finally decided to jump into the conversation.

Just northeast of Bakersfield near the Sequoia National Forest.

Lots of pigs in that area, but all on private land. That's great that you have a friend there.

30-06?.......You mean you can kill stuff with a plain OLD 06?.......lol

ps.....Love my Win Mod 70 30-06......

I shoot the Winchester super-x 95/5 rounds.

I want to transition from fishing and start hunting. Pig specifically.
What kind of range do you normally shoot at? 50-100 or 100-200??
I am to the point I need to buy a rifle and would appreciate the info greatly! So far I am leaning towards a 45-70 lever action.

jdac said:
I am to the point I need to buy a rifle and would appreciate the info greatly! So far I am leaning towards a 45-70 lever action.

Personally, I would get a more rounded caliber.....You may want to start hunting deer, elk, or other big game.....Two calibers come to mind that cover most everything in only one rifle.....270 & the 30.06.....2 cents.

Reactions: Vermonter
jdac said:

All the pigs I've shot have been under 150 yards. You can't beat a standard hunting rifle, 30.06, 270, something like that.

I've shot a few pigs with my AR shooting a 5.56. The first few were clean quick kills, then I shot a medium sized pig broadside through the heart (2 shots) at 80 yards and he trotted around like nothing happened. I had to finish him off with my .45. That's when k decided I would prefer a little bigger caliber for pigs. I've built up a nice 300 blackout upper for my AR as a dedicated pig gun, but if I'm expecting a possible range over 200ish I always default to my savage 30-06 just because I am so comfortable with it.

I'm no expert, but I have learned from some smart hunters and I agree with what's been said above. You can't go wrong with .270, 30-06, or .308 as a first rifle for nearly all situations.
Lever actions are fun but the tube magazine requires the projectiles to be round-tipped, which compromises ballistics of the bullet.
Have fun shopping!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu