Elk gun

For the sake of discussion. We are talking about buying a dedicated elk rifle here, not what he already has (which may be "good enough") or for other species. Because of that, I'd bump the power level up just a bit to 300wsm or 7PRC or higher.

Legendary author and outdoorsman Jack O’Connor touted the 270 and slayed big game all over north America, Africa, and elsewhere. One can only imagine what he could have done with the modern ballistics and optics of today in something similar.

The first 2 minutes of this clip with accomplished outdoorsman Randy Newberg pretty much sums up calibers similar to what I mentioned.

Elk Hunting Cartridges and Calibers - Randy Newberg's thoughts

A very accomplished acquaintance of mine in the West has harvested an elk virtually every year for the past 20+ years. Always used a 270 and this year’s was well past 400 yards. Shot placement.

Here, Wyoming elk guide Robb Wiley gives some interesting perspectives in this 5 minute clip on different calibers.

Len Backus and Robb Wiley discuss some of the best elk hunting calibers

And the great thing about a forum like this is the discussion, opinions, and back and forth information to continuously learn (at least for me).

Legendary author and outdoorsman Jack O’Connor touted the 270 and slayed big game all over north America, Africa, and elsewhere. One can only imagine what he could have done with the modern ballistics and optics of today in something similar.

The first 2 minutes of this clip with accomplished outdoorsman Randy Newberg pretty much sums up calibers similar to what I mentioned.

A very accomplished acquaintance of mine in the West has harvested an elk virtually every year for the past 20+ years. Always used a 270 and this year’s was well past 400 yards. Shot placement.

Here, Wyoming elk guide Robb Wiley gives some interesting perspectives in this 5 minute clip on different calibers.

And the great thing about a forum like this is the discussion, opinions, and back and forth information to continuously learn (at least for me).

Well that was a recap of all of what was said prior... Nuff said....

Big fan of Jack O’Connor. Part if his legendary status has been not revealing how many animals he may have wounded all of the world. There are always 2 stories. With that said, the 270 is a very capable cartridge.

Thanks for sharing. Funny enough I've exclusively used a .270 for anything and everything for the past 20 years. Coyotes to elk, 270 was it and I love that gun. A tremendous round no doubt, very capable. Except for bull elk, at least in comparison to my dad's 300wm. In my experience, the .270 still kills them (bulls) but the .300 makes them sick instantly and is significantly quicker/more effective.

That said, at the end of the day, using something you have faith in matters a lot also. Probably goes for a lot of things in life. I'd take the .270 in a heartbeat on an elk hunt of a lifetime but if the 300 is on the table that's what I am grabbing.

Bullet choice? That caliber is going to be my go-to this year for out of state.

Have you decided between using the ELDX vs ELDM in your PRC? Which ever one you choose, we should take it over to PWG and check speeds at the range.

I just bought a box of each to load up in my 300 WM.

Have you decided between using the ELDX vs ELDM in your PRC? Which ever one you choose, we should take it over to PWG and check speeds at the range.

I just bought a box of each to load up in my 300 WM.

Lets do it! I need to get the scope on and lighter trigger spring in but I can do that soon. I grabbed the factory Hornady 225 eld-m.

I’m no big game expert but I think .284 and greater for elk. I killed a bull one time with a Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06, but if I did it over I’d go back with a 338-06 imp. I like .30 cal bullets because hunting isn’t always picturesque, and .30 cal tends to pick up my slack when I need em to. And I certainly would choose lead over copper.

Reactions: TRICER
Tikka T3X Lite it is boys. Looking forward to hitting the range as soon as my stupid 10 days are up. Thanks for all the suggestions and convo. Always cool learning why people think the way that they do.
What caliber?

Last edited:
Reactions: NBK
Shot placement is key. Nothing cares what you blow their lungs apart with.
Completely agree with your comments about shot placement. Long before the elk hunt this last season, was curious to see how a copper bullet might work. Liked the penetration and expansion aspects experienced by many with copper and experimented with a few different loads in the off season beforehand.

Well, launched a 7mm 150g Barnes copper bullet at 3,000 fps down range a little under 300yrds. One shot to the lungs. Didn’t take a step, fell over ~10 seconds later with a quick clean kill. Maybe lucky but the ballistics, bullet, load, and penetration seemed to have worked. Happy with the results but need to repeat a couple more times to see if can duplicate the outcome. Regardless, still believe shot placement is the key for me personally.

Doesn't matter if it is a firearm or a bow shot, placement is the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, this is actually the direction I was leaning! Thoughts on this vs. a more custom build?
I’m a lefty and bought a Tikka T3X (in 30-06); that rifle is the ticket regardless of caliber. I’ve taken that rifle to WY, TX, CA, AK in lots of different weather and it’s always been spot on. I recently shot a 3 shot 1/4” group off the bench while working up a load with 124gr Hammer Hunters. Listen to NBK, he pointed me in the right direction when I bought mine, you won’t go wrong.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu