Elk

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
Hey guys I applied for an elk hunt in independence ca, in 2013 there were only 99 applicants and they allow 2 tags. I understand these hunt could take years to draw however they do have 1 preference point tag and one random draw tag. In the event I am drawn for that area this year or in future years I need to know public access areas. It's 5 hrs from my house so scouting really isn't an option. So do any of you know of areas for public land hunting. I'm only 27 so I can't afford to pay to hunt a ranch. Lol

Sent from my iPhone

The game wardens up there are very helpful they want you to harvest, if time is a factor and given that you draw I would suggest you go up a few days before the season interview the wardens and scout the areas they tell you before the hunt starts, they're not hard to find as long as you have general idea where to start.

I do elk bighorn and antelope evey year. I'm going to Worry about it when I draw. I read alittle and look for the best public land access. That's it for me

MJB said:
Hoping for that 2%.... Welcome to Cali!
That's all we Californians can hope for when it comes to hunting. I tell people I know that I hunt and they say things like "there are deer in California?" Or "I didn't know that people in California hunt." I have faith in my 2%.. Haha

Sent from my iPhone

Breacher said:
I do this all the time. What will I buy when I win the lottery. ;)
well I just found out it cost $450 for a resident elk tag!!! That's crazy, I can go to flagstaff and pay $500 for a nonresident next year.

Sent from my iPhone

5 hours is not bad. Plan a camping trip or 2 if you should draw. It would suck if you got drawn and couldn't afford to go.

Add 160 to that 500 tag for an AZ license. This game isn't cheap.

SoCalHunter27 said:
Breacher said:
well I just found out it cost $450 for a resident elk tag!!! That's crazy, I can go to flagstaff and pay $500 for a nonresident next year.

Sent from my iPhone

You applied for a tag but didnt know how much it would cost you??

Breacher said:
SoCalHunter27 said:
Breacher said:

Sent from my iPhone

You applied for a tag but didnt know how much it would cost you??
No I knew before I applied. I'm just shocked how much Cali charges for a resident tag. Me and my dad are going in 50/50 for whenever one of us gets drawn so we can split the meat.

Sent from my iPhone

sluester said:
5 hours is not bad. Plan a camping trip or 2 if you should draw. It would suck if you got drawn and couldn't afford to go.

Oh I know it is. Elk is pretty much a once in a lifetime trip for me so I'll spend the money now before I have kids.

Let me know how getting drawn for a bull tag around flagstaff goes for you.

If 5 hrs is to far to go for scouting you are in the wrong game

sluester said:
My dad is getting to the point where in a few years he won't be able to hunt. So if not this year definitely in the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone

SoCalHunter27 said:
MJB said:
Hoping for that 2%.... Welcome to Cali!
That's all we Californians can hope for when it comes to hunting. I tell people I know that I hunt and they say things like "there are deer in California?" Or "I didn't know that people in California hunt." I have faith in my 2%.. Haha

Sent from my iPhone

Lol I say no there's no hunting here. I'm chasing 2% of the deer in sd any. It's easy to find little deer. I'm having problems finding big ones when there in season.

Aeon said:
Let me know how getting drawn for a bull tag around flagstaff goes for you.

If 5 hrs is to far to go for scouting you are in the wrong game
I'll go scout if you want to pay for my gas.... I would never let lack of scouting stop me from hunting. Even if I don't score.

Sent from my iPhone

Lol I say no there's no hunting here. I'm chasing 2% of the deer in sd any. It's easy to find little deer. I'm having problems finding big ones when there in season.
[/quote]

Seriously we spend a lot of money every year hunting zones with a 2% harvest rate in hopes of scoring. Why not dot it with an elk tag app and hope we score? Haha

Sent from my iPhone

where do you live ? I was drawn for independence 3 seasons ago for a tule cow elk and I use to live 4 hours from the hunting area but now live about 30 minuites and I never scouted I drove around the day of the morning of the hunt found the heard and got on them and made it happen . Dont worry about private land because there is very little private land and if I remember right when you are drawn you get a map with your tag showing you all the mapped areas you are aloud to hunt and what is private and public. its something like 95 percent public land , LA county owns it all and doesnt care about hunting on it they just want the water . If you were to get the tag I could help you out . What exact tag did you apply for ? do you remember the number? is it cow or bull? archery or general?

baboltin said:
where do you live ? I was drawn for independence 3 seasons ago for a tule cow elk and I use to live 4 hours from the hunting area but now live about 30 minuites and I never scouted I drove around the day of the morning of the hunt found the heard and got on them and made it happen . Dont worry about private land because there is very little private land and if I remember right when you are drawn you get a map with your tag showing you all the mapped areas you are aloud to hunt and what is private and public. its something like 95 percent public land , LA county owns it all and doesnt care about hunting on it they just want the water . If you were to get the tag I could help you out . What exact tag did you apply for ? do you remember the number? is it cow or bull? archery or general?
Thanks man that's all I really wanted to know, if it was more private or public. All I could go off of is the description next to the tag saying it has public access. It was the bull tag (349), the later season. It said that the success last year was 2 for 2 so I figured it had to be a decent area. I live in Corona ca. I go up to Bridgeport for camping and hunting when I get drawn and always hear of elk off the 395 but have never actually seen them myself. But I was just worried about access because there are a lot of ranches up that way.

Sent from my iPhone

yeah next time you drive through if you have some time drive some dirt roads with some good glass and you will see them , I typically see them on the west side of the 395 more than the east side and when i was actually drawn for that cow tag drove all over the east side of the 395 and area to hunt for independence hunt and didnt see any but went to the west side and found them almost right away , there were two different groups with a few different very nice bulls one I wish I would have had a tag for although he was very smart and stayed in the middle of a bunch of cows and had about 40 cows with him of which one i took from that group . fun hunt that my dad, brother in law and nephew and a very good friend all got to enjoy and watch me hunt. It was a challenge to get within 400 yards of them with all those eyes but ended up getting and shoot her at 450 yards, tough animal though shot her and she dropped but got back up she was trying to keep up with the group could so I ran over the ridge had to take a running shot off hand at about 250 yards and that was it , first shot was a litlle low I had judged it at 400 yards later one ranged it turned out to be 448 yards . That and i used copper bullets even though i didnt have to test them on a larger animal and lets say I wasnt impressed even at that range the bullet held its weight only loss .02 grains of the bullet but it barely mushroomed the actually bullet stopped inside of her so all the energy went to her but the bullet almost looked new . If I could have gone back I would have used a lead bullet and feel she wouldnt have got up after the first shot. Like I said though I am more than willing to help out anyone that is lucky enough to draw a tag for around here . I also applied for that hunt but I believe the earlier bull hunt in the same area doubt I will recieve the tag as I only have 2 points but never know .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu