Elk

baboltin said:
yeah next time you drive through if you have some time drive some dirt roads with some good glass and you will see them , I typically see them on the west side of the 395 more than the east side and when i was actually drawn for that cow tag drove all over the east side of the 395 and area to hunt for independence hunt and didnt see any but went to the west side and found them almost right away , there were two different groups with a few different very nice bulls one I wish I would have had a tag for although he was very smart and stayed in the middle of a bunch of cows and had about 40 cows with him of which one i took from that group . fun hunt that my dad, brother in law and nephew and a very good friend all got to enjoy and watch me hunt. It was a challenge to get within 400 yards of them with all those eyes but ended up getting and shoot her at 450 yards, tough animal though shot her and she dropped but got back up she was trying to keep up with the group could so I ran over the ridge had to take a running shot off hand at about 250 yards and that was it , first shot was a litlle low I had judged it at 400 yards later one ranged it turned out to be 448 yards . That and i used copper bullets even though i didnt have to test them on a larger animal and lets say I wasnt impressed even at that range the bullet held its weight only loss .02 grains of the bullet but it barely mushroomed the actually bullet stopped inside of her so all the energy went to her but the bullet almost looked new . If I could have gone back I would have used a lead bullet and feel she wouldnt have got up after the first shot. Like I said though I am more than willing to help out anyone that is lucky enough to draw a tag for around here . I also applied for that hunt but I believe the earlier bull hunt in the same area doubt I will recieve the tag as I only have 2 points but never know .
Sounds like it was a fun hunt. I always say to my hunting buddies if you help me spot it or pack it out you get meat. So I would welcome any help by you if I get the tag. What caliber rifle did you use? I typically hunt with a .270 for deer however I do have a 30-06. I like the .270 but is that a big enough caliber for a Tule elk?

Sent from my iPhone

I shot that elk and almost all my deer with a 7 mag, A 270 will kill a elk many elk have died from a .270 and elk subspecies that are much larger than tule elk Rocky mtn elk are about twice the size , a tule cow on the hoof is probably between 400-500 pounds and a bull i imagine is about 500-650 they are the smallest elk of them all . Yeah I will difantly help if there is some meat coming my way... My tule elk tasted great ! loved the meat . Now my wife is spoiled and only wants it !

Sdbirds said:
I do elk bighorn and antelope evey year. I'm going to Worry about it when I draw. I read alittle and look for the best public land access. That's it for me
John over at FF suggested I do that, and I hesitated. But your post got me thinking about it some more. I went ahead and bought pref points for elk, bighorn and antelope this am. Just under the wire. I figure "what the heck?" As you say, I'll worry about the rest later.
Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Sent via Tapatalk

Don't buy any points for BHS you'll never get to max points better off just applying for a random draw tag

SoCalHunter27 said:
baboltin said:
yeah next time you drive through if you have some time drive some dirt roads with some good glass and you will see them , I typically see them on the west side of the 395 more than the east side and when i was actually drawn for that cow tag drove all over the east side of the 395 and area to hunt for independence hunt and didnt see any but went to the west side and found them almost right away , there were two different groups with a few different very nice bulls one I wish I would have had a tag for although he was very smart and stayed in the middle of a bunch of cows and had about 40 cows with him of which one i took from that group . fun hunt that my dad, brother in law and nephew and a very good friend all got to enjoy and watch me hunt. It was a challenge to get within 400 yards of them with all those eyes but ended up getting and shoot her at 450 yards, tough animal though shot her and she dropped but got back up she was trying to keep up with the group could so I ran over the ridge had to take a running shot off hand at about 250 yards and that was it , first shot was a litlle low I had judged it at 400 yards later one ranged it turned out to be 448 yards . That and i used copper bullets even though i didnt have to test them on a larger animal and lets say I wasnt impressed even at that range the bullet held its weight only loss .02 grains of the bullet but it barely mushroomed the actually bullet stopped inside of her so all the energy went to her but the bullet almost looked new . If I could have gone back I would have used a lead bullet and feel she wouldnt have got up after the first shot. Like I said though I am more than willing to help out anyone that is lucky enough to draw a tag for around here . I also applied for that hunt but I believe the earlier bull hunt in the same area doubt I will recieve the tag as I only have 2 points but never know .
Sounds like it was a fun hunt. I always say to my hunting buddies if you help me spot it or pack it out you get meat. So I would welcome any help by you if I get the tag. What caliber rifle did you use? I typically hunt with a .270 for deer however I do have a 30-06. I like the .270 but is that a big enough caliber for a Tule elk?

Sent from my iPhone

did you draw your elk tag that you applied for ?

baboltin said:
SoCalHunter27 said:
baboltin said:

Sent from my iPhone

did you draw your elk tag that you applied for ?
No man not this year. I got the point.
Didn't draw X12 but I got A31 and D7 for Deer.

Sent from my iPhone

SoCal, I drew the period 4 independence cow. I have been up scouting a few weekends but I still haven't found them. I haven't spend nearly as much time on the west side as I have on the East side, but I think I will look harder over there. Can you tell me a little more specifically where I should start. I scouted the mornings west of the alfalfa field south of Aberdeen.

I would appreciate any info.

I drew that tag in 2012 and I actually didn't have time to scout but knew I could find them , on opening day I looked on the east side never found a heard, I than went to the west side of the 395 and found two different heards and than put a stock on them spooked them put another shot and took a shot at 450 and dropped one... be ready to shoot some distance and the hardest part is getting on them with all those eyes looking at you ! good luck

Thanks for the reply. I leave in a couple of days to head up. I am pretty optimistic. I will keep you posted. Hopefully pics to follow.

Back