Fastest way to gut a rabbit: a .17

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
I've been itching to get my .17HMR out of the safe and onto some jacks before cottontails open on the 1st. Saw plenty today running like the wind but only had one that would sit still enough for me to take his picture. Good enough to satisfy my itch until the 1st. My buddy made one explode with his .17 Hornet too.. pretty gruesome. Fastest gutting method!
.17HMR/17gr/2550 fps vs. .17 Hornet/20gr/3600fps.
5d25f88b9f7ea4bdbce2ed1ce3c9b030.jpg
9f9a1cc741a378c434bc1a7d4089c761.jpg

Reactions: DanSanDiego
Nasty! I switched to solid points when using my .22 on them for that reason. But nothing like the destructive power of the .17 HMR.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
My brother put two solid 22s from 70 yards into this guy and he kept walking (little hops), so I tried for a head shot (face on) with my HMR. It entered the cheak and blew out his rib cage.

EDIT: Dang it. The pic is too big to load here, I'll work on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu