Few Pics From East County SD...6-28-17

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Took a drive around east county yesterday looking for cottontails.....Surprisingly, I didn't see all that many and my best pellet gun spot had zero.....This was at daybreak too.....Not tons of turkeys seen, but a few gobblers and poults with hens.....Only saw a couple of does and one trail cam had nothing special (small forky).....The trail cam pic in the yard is a prop in Julian. It had Ole Wily with a cat.....I hate feral cats. So, good riddance.

ps.....Shot the Beeman .22 at ground squirrels.....Seems to be right on the money....;)

.003.JPG 007.JPG 002.JPG 008.JPG 012.JPG 015.JPG 684.JPG

Cool pics as always Steve. I hate the feral cats as well.. I've been battling a few for months crapping in my yard. Good to see poults around. As for the rabbits, I feel like its hit or miss with them for some reason.. the other day I saw dozens around my spot (clear warm morning) whereas a couple weeks before that I barely saw any (cloudy and chilly).

Friend sent me a picture yesterday of a TOM and three hens, no chicks. question DID they loose alll the chicks or did not have any this year.

Mark,

My feeling is, we lost a good portion of our poults during the snow storms in May (any poults 10 days old or less).....Like was stated before, the weather could not have happened at a worse time.....That being said, because there's such a wide dispersal of water means, there's a wide dispersal of nesting hens.....It could mean, we just can't see them....This winters flock-up will tell the tale.

Older hens that are being seen without poults?.....Probably means they tried and lost all of them.....Hens won't renest, if they hatch their 1st attempt.

5 hens together.....:(

.006.JPG

Last edited:
Plenty of bunnies in the park by my house but far fewer in the huntable areas. Gonna try the local CNF areas at first light. Glad that cat got chowed.

Great pics. Always good just to get out for a walk, eh? Nice seeing the poults. A lot of quail clutches this season too. Been practicing on the bunnies with my bow. So far the bunnies are safe. They're scared, but they're safe.

Reactions: WaterDawg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu