First Bird Dog, Maverick VonBirdfindr

HunterMcBuckKiller

Oct 20, 2020
Polk County, OR
Maverick VonBirdfindr came home on Sunday. Picked him up from Eastern Idaho on Saturday. Now he is getting spoiled by the whole family. He stars training in September. Getting some frozen quail from the trainer on Thursday to develop he nose. Really excided for this coming fall eve n if its just to get him on birds with out shooting. I love watching these dogs work. Signed him up for training mostly for me since it is my first working dog. Will post updates on training here in the future.

55EEE4EE-1FB8-466E-BC6C-C116059E3BE9.jpgmav1.jpgMav3.jpgmav4.jpgmav5.jpg

Dude!! That's awesome!! Great looking pup...here is my Bad dog currently..with his partner in crime..love hate relationship..uggh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206-102531.png
    Screenshot_20240206-102531.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Love
Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Maverick VonBirdfindr came home on Sunday. Picked him up from Eastern Idaho on Saturday. Now he is getting spoiled by the whole family. He stars training in September. Getting some frozen quail from the trainer on Thursday to develop he nose. Really excided for this coming fall eve n if its just to get him on birds with out shooting. I love watching these dogs work. Signed him up for training mostly for me since it is my first working dog. Will post updates on training here in the future.

View attachment 61163View attachment 61164View attachment 61166View attachment 61167View attachment 61168
I am a Lab guy but I do like him. Always exciting with a new dog.

John

Thanks, your guy aint to bad lookin himself!
Saw a covey of chukar on the way to get him sitting on a cliff side on hwy 20 just before the Idaho border... I think its a sign.
Idaho is cool. They release pheasants every week during their season. Great way to get a young dog exposed to birds. We get hosed in Cali. Nothing comes easy in this State when it comes to hunting. Nothing like watching a young pointer on their first bird. Or any bird dog. The light switch goes on and they start to figure things out. You will hunt more for your dog then you will for yourself. God, this brings back memories of my girls early days....sigh

John

I have had the pleasure of having several GSP's, so I'm partial to the breed, but I think they are the best by far. All owners feel that way about their dogs. One thing about them is they are HIGH energy dogs and need a lot of exercise, a lot. They have a grate disposition and make great family members. Mine have all had natural retrieving instinct, and make great water fowl hunting dogs, though I mainly hunted upland birds. I miss each and every one of them.

I have not, I may in the future.
Besides the training area access and testing what are the benefits to joining?
It is like Group Counseling. Everyone is at a different place in terms dog training experience. You can learn much from others and eventually be in a position to help others. Your dog will learn to work with other dogs and learn how to hunt in partnership with other dogs and to honor points and so forth. Good for socialization of your dog as well.

John

I have had the pleasure of having several GSP's, so I'm partial to the breed, but I think they are the best by far. All owners feel that way about their dogs. One thing about them is they are HIGH energy dogs and need a lot of exercise, a lot. They have a grate disposition and make great family members. Mine have all had natural retrieving instinct, and make great water fowl hunting dogs, though I mainly hunted upland birds. I miss each and every one of them.
We have only had him home for a couple days, I have been starting him on the clicker this week while feeding him his meals a couple pieces at a time. Next week I plan on working on recall more than anything then retrieve once i figure out a favorite toy for him. Picking up some frozen Quail from a our trainer tomorrow to start working on his nose and get him familiar with scent and using his nose instead of his eyes. Dude is already pointing and generally interested in finding things, creeping through tall grass and plants. Can't wait till he is fully vaccinated so we can really explore!!!
We have a half ass nature preserve down the street dogs are allowed in and i really want to take him down there. Glad to hear they can be used for fowl as well.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
It is like Group Counseling. Everyone is at a different place in terms dog training experience. You can learn much from others and eventually be in a position to help others. Your dog will learn to work with other dogs and learn how to hunt in partnership with other dogs and to honor points and so forth. Good for socialization of your dog as well.

John
I am using https://sidebysideupland.com as our trainer.
I spent 2 hours at his house listening to the program before we decided to use him. He has homing pigeons and quail to help with training. He is a very knowledgeable man, and all the training is done along with me so no boarding. Once I finish our first round of training I will definitely look into it.

I have not, I may in the future.
Besides the training area access and testing what are the benefits to joining?

Water and field access, being around other dogs training (huge benefit), working with folks who have tremendous dog knowledge, networking with folks who hunt, access to training birds and equipment. The list goes on.

I train weekly with NAVHDA and I learn something every time. And I am not a stranger to the program. I am on my fourth versatile dog.

Maybe not for everyone, but it certainly has been a huge gift for my dogs and I.

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Water and field access, being around other dogs training (huge benefit), working with folks who have tremendous dog knowledge, networking with folks who hunt, access to training birds and equipment. The list goes on.

I train weekly with NAVHDA and I learn something every time. And I am not a stranger to the program. I am on my fourth versatile dog.

Maybe not for everyone, but it certainly has been a huge gift for my dogs and I.
I am going to look more into it next winter after we have our first fall and i decide to stick with the trainer i have now or to go at it solo. If i do the solo option i will likely signup. Thanks for the info!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu