First Build

kmundia14

Apr 16, 2013
I'm getting ready to start my first AR build! ;D I'm super pumped. Just might take a while (money is a little tight with my wedding coming up in the next couple of months)

Attachments

• image.pdf
    645.6 KB · Views: 36
looks good so far but any fresh lower always looks good. Have fun with it and get what you want in the first place is my recommendation. What are you thinking as far as specs? barrel? cal? handguards? have anything special in mind?

Honestly it's pretty open ended. A buddy of mine just built one and we shot it over Memorial Day and I instantly knew I needed to get on it. Any recommendations are warmly welcomed.

well.... no one can really give opinions that matter to you. I had a classic m-4gery because thats what i trained on. but when i started hunting with it i could not stand the front sight post glare in my scope but have other things to spend money on so thats the way it will be for a while. i like the standard collapsible stock. my dad only uses a2 fixed stocks. I like 16" my dad is a 20" type of guy its all opinion but let me tell you i built my wife's ultra light 16" with a free float rail magpul back ups a really light 2-7 scope and of coarse painted camo pink, for less then 800bills and it shoots straight as anything else i own. lots of good quality "cheaper" priced alternatives out there if your willing to go against the flow. I make it a habit of never uploading picts of my stuff but im always happy to show any one in person if possible. look at, feel, touch and shoot as many different set ups as possible. They are very nice things to have. My only recommendation if you can bring your self to do it? Paint it. then people including LEOs and wardens do no see it as a "black" gun. no kidding they look at you differently and so do range offices and the public. its not as scary...

I just finished one up too....I went for cheap and built it for under $500 and super happy with it, i bought a blemished complete upper from psa with a chrome barrel for $329...I cant find a blemish on it and its a tack driver..love it

here is a pic with my grandson having fun with it

Attachments

• 10309644_331716076976068_2389283966676362402_n.jpg
    10309644_331716076976068_2389283966676362402_n.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 137
Wiley looks great it's awsome to see kids into the sport.

As far as the pink..... I won't even sight it in or be Seen touching it in public. But between us what I nice light easy shooter ;D

M_juttner said:
Wiley does the front sight get in the way of your scope
Not at all, I thought it would too and actually went to buy a taller mount but the guy at the shop said it will go right through it without a problem and it does

It doesn't get in the way. What the problem is is that when the sun is at my back the glare hits it.

308? Now your talking a big boy ar10/lr308 big frame gun unless you go with a 300black out or some other short case. I built a 20" dpms style 243win man that thing is heavy but it's a shooter for Sure

ARs or any type or size are fun that's kinda the point right. Have a blast once you get the bug it's hard to get ride if it

When I built my last ar I looked into the 300blk but past. Just didn't do it for me.

I think the only truly good reason to do .300 blk is for subsonic builds, but you can't buy a suppressor in CA. If not going suppressed, then 7.62x39 is cheaper to buy, and performs better, IIRC.

Anyway, the options are endless. My advice is that you think long and hard about what you want to do with it. Think about what size bullet (how many grains) you will shoot most. Will you hunt with it? Will you use it for home defense (and I mean, is this the gun you plan to grab in an emergency, not just one you MIGHT grab)? Let your function determine 95% of the form, or you will end up wasting money.

Most guys are going to shoot 55gr FMJ's almost exclusively, and probably just for occasional plinking. In this case, a low-end 1:9 twist upper with a cheapish bolt carrier group (BCG) might work for you. Either an M4-length or Mid-length gas system will work, but unless you go with a 14.7" barrel with a pinned flash hider, the M4 gas system is unnecessarily short and has a sharper impulse (recoil), from what I understand. I would recommend a 16" or longer barrel with midlength gas system. Don't confuse the M4 gas system with the M4 feed ramps. The feed ramps are, in my opinion, a good feature, and don't hurt anything, even when not building an M4-style rifle. If you're going for a super-lightweight build, the M4 gas system and forearm will weigh less.

Some guys intend to do some serious training with their weapons, going to classes/courses, etc. For this purpose, I would recommend a higher-quality build. Many people recommend BCM (Bravo Company) uppers, with 1:7 twist chrome-lined barrel. The 1:7 allows you to shoot longer/heavier bullets.

Pick a stock you like. If you have the opportunity to shoot a buddy's AR, see if you like the stock. Find another buddy that has a different style stock, and shoot his. Forget all the junk about "mil-spec" buffer tubes. I seriously doubt you'll break one.

Trigger and FCG: again, what do you want to do? For plinking, a cheapo Fire Control Group (FCG) will work just fine. Or you can get a Geissle for $$$$$.

If you want a Tacti-Cool build, then I recommend you watch this video, and duplicate their build exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q362H-xg0ZA

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu