First CA deer down!

Ajsnack

Jun 5, 2012
San Diego
Went out today and got my first CA deer. I tried shooting him last week but never had the opportunity. I'll posts more pics later or tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Congratulations AJ. That is a well deserved buck. We all know how hard you worked for this. It is a trophy for sure!

Give us more details. Rifle, caliber, how far a shot etc. Looking forward to hearing a story!

Very cool!!!!
Sounds like you worked for that one.
He'll be tasty for sure = ))

Congrats on your first ca buck watch out for ticks on him I can see a few in the picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great job dude. It's not easy to do it here on public land you earned him

D16hunter said:
Congrats on your first ca buck watch out for ticks on him I can see a few in the picture

Was years loaded up Luke? Mine barely had any under 20

Sdbirds said:
D16hunter said:

Was years loaded up Luke? Mine barely had any under 20
We quartered it me and my dad only saw 2 ticks but their mighta been more

Congrats on that 1st buck.......You'll never forget him........The size is immaterial to the life long worth of memories...... :D

ps......I spray my bucks with Raid......I hate ticks (& lately fleas).

So this season was my third season hunting in CA. It has taken a lot to get used to hunting for deer here compared to my home state of Michigan, whole different ball game but I really enjoy the western style deer hunting here. The first season here my hunting buddy shot a fork, last season I put my brother on a fork in the same place where I had taken this deer. They all happened to occur the same weekend United States Marine Corps birthday/ Veterans Day Weekend. For the last 5 years or so I have had some real success at this particular time of year when comes to deer hunting, so I really make it a point to go deer hunting this weekend.

I left my house at 430am and started hiking it around 515. The wind was a little bit different then predicted, so I went to another ridge line than the one I normally do. I was working my way to the first place I wanted to glass and I jumped four does. I sat and watched them until they cross the ridge and out of sight. I continued to sit there hoping a buck would come following their trail. Mr Buck never came so I follow the trail those does went on. It was quite a steep ridge to get up. When I get up there I start top glass again to try and find those does, my goal was to keep and eye on those does all day. I wasn't able to find them.

I picked up there tracks and began to follow there tracks towards a canyon, happened to be the same canyon that last year held 6 Illegals that i spotted. As I crested the canyon to begin glassing again I spotted a deer to my right. I through up the binos and realized it was a buck. We both kind of saw each other at the same time.

To be continued…..Have to go to work

Attachments

• IMGP0008.JPG
    IMGP0008.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 66
Congrats.. Kool looking deer while the Horns could be bigger always remember what Truely matters is how he tastes :-D
and of the experience of getting it done.

thanks for the pics.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu