First Deer and First Ducks (Central Texas) 11/10-11/12

Bask

Oct 3, 2022
Went out to my brother in law's lease in central Texas for 3 days of hunting. There was 5 of us total in the camp, we ended the trip together with 3 Whitetail bucks 1 Black Buck and ~30 ducks (Only 3 of us went after deer).

My priority was to get my first deer and absorb as much knowledge from this group of hunters that I could, then everything after that was a bonus. First afternoon we saw some deer but largest rack we saw was a 4pts so we passed on everything. Next morning I went out by myself as 3 people went for ducks and one other person went to a different blind. Got out well before first light spent the morning watching a group of 6 does and a spike running around and eating, after about an hour I saw all the does leave and the spike stayed so I knew some buck was about to roll into view. It was still fairly foggy at this point and I saw him step out from behind some cactus and oak, Through the fog I was watching him I thought he was a 4 pts at first and over the course of 20min as the fog lifted I was able to make out 4 more pts. This being the first morning hunt I didn't want it to end right away but I remembered the line 'Don't pass on something that on the last day of the hunt you wish you had' (Or something along those lines). So I was working myself up to shooting him and then the spike would step in right in front of his vitals. This happened 3 times. Finally I was ready to shoot and the spike was a good 5 feet away to the right so I took the shot, ~110 yrds. After I shot I felt I pulled slightly right (which ended up being the case) but still ended with double lung I believe. He was slightly quartering towards though so the bullet ended up nicking the stomach which ruined some of the organs I wanted to keep. (Photos bellow are exit wound side, entrance hole was much better placement, I need to better about thinking where the bullet will come out ). He made it ~25yrds away and expired.

That afternoon went out with the brother in law looking for black buck and pigs but, only saw a single doe though. So ended up just being a nice time getting to know my brother in law. Following morning I went out for ducks with two others and ended up getting 16 ducks I believe. We got Gadwall, 1 Ring Neck and 5 Mallards. The Mallards were lost on me but I guess for central TX they are pretty rare, the other two guys were stoked though, I was just happy to be getting ducks. Fairly happy with how I did on the duck hunting, 4 of them I know were my shots and a couple more either follow ups from me or someone followed my shots up. Duck hunting is a rush and something that I will be getting more into.

Now for the PICS

buck.jpghead.jpg
Brother in law is going to at home euro the skull the for me so will have something to put up in the house.

stringer.jpg
(The mojo wasn't placed next to the blind for hunting we put it there while cleaning up )

The others at the camp helped a lot and I learned a lot from them, but want to shout out to this forum too and everyone at the monthly nwtf meetings for the tips and advice as I have been slowly learning to hunt!

Last edited:
Also a side note, the Pelican Vault v700 series may be TSA approved but it IS NOT airline safe. They cracked my case so badly that it was deemed not in good enough condition to use for the flight back. So I had to pick up another case in TX. They cut me a check for the case but still need to submit a ticket for the damage to the rifle. ( I went to a range prior to hunting to make sure it was still functional and sighted) but there is still some damage to the rifle.

Awesome man. Looks like Texas hill country. I go every year and it’s such a fun place to hunt. What town were you close to?

Awesome man. Looks like Texas hill country. I go every year and it’s such a fun place to hunt. What town were you close to?
I think Brady was the largest/closest town, but I would use close very loosely. We passed through some others on the way but Brady is the only one I remember. Not to familiar with the area, first time there.

I think Brady was the largest/closest town, but I would use close very loosely. We passed through some others on the way but Brady is the only one I remember. Not to familiar with the area, first time there.
Yep that’s hill country. I hunt south of there close to Junction.

The buck is OK, but the ducks are outstanding...J/K...Great going all around.................. :clap:
Thanks, to be honest I think the buck is okay. I'm happy with it though and the smaller stature of it made learning how to skin it and break it down a bit easier :)

Reactions: ilovesprig
Are you hooked?
I dont think blind hunting for deer is my jam, I had fun and would do it again but want to try a more active pursuit of deer.

Duck hunting from a blind...yes very much hooked. How much is a trained retriever...asking for a friend :sob:

Yep that’s hill country. I hunt south of there close to Junction.
Okay so same general landscape and terrain. It's really nice out there I enjoyed watching a thunderstorm roll in from God knows how far away.

I dont think blind hunting for deer is my jam, I had fun and would do it again but want to try a more active pursuit of deer.

Duck hunting from a blind...yes very much hooked. How much is a trained retriever...asking for a friend :sob:
The least expensive part of owning a hunting a dog is the purchase price (think at least $2000 for a the pup with good bloodlines and a proven hunting history from the bitch and sire.) Yes you will encounter prices for less but beware and do your homework . You can spend as little as a few thousand to 10's of thousand's to have a dog trained or you can train it yourself if you have the discipline and time..

Reactions: Bask
Don't let the price scare you from getting a dog....Lots of labs in the $500.00-900.00....Yes, most are backyard breeders, but by looking at the parents, tossing a ball, and enter action with the pups can tell you a lot...Most on how the dog does will be on you...Labs are really easy to train too.

I like males and labs are very loving dogs by nature (they're not the #1 dog in America for nothing)...So, I historically look for the bigger size, aggressiveness, and overall temperament.

I bought current lab Coley in Montana 3 years ago for $550.00 (more than I wanted to pay really)...Fully papered...His parents were on site...The dad was big and blocky...The mom was thinner, but still pretty...When I started playing with the 2 males that were left...Coley couldn't get enough of fetching the ball...I picked him...He is thin and runs great...He loves upland and waterfowl hunting goes without saying....Your hunting experience will never be the same after owning a dog....... :heart:

ps...Needs to be a whole other thread for this.... ;)

coley '22.JPG

The least expensive part of owning a hunting a dog is the purchase price (think at least $2000 for a the pup with good bloodlines and a proven hunting history from the bitch and sire.) Yes you will encounter prices for less but beware and do your homework . You can spend as little as a few thousand to 10's of thousand's to have a dog trained or you can train it yourself if you have the discipline and time..
Yeah this is in line with what I heard, there were a few dogs at the camp and everyone said the cheapest part was buying the dog.

Don't let the price scare you from getting a dog....Lots of labs in the $500.00-900.00....Yes, most are backyard breeders, but by looking at the parents, tossing a ball, and enter action with the pups can tell you a lot...Most on how the dog does will be on you...Labs are really easy to train too.

I like males and labs are very loving dogs by nature (they're not the #1 dog in America for nothing)...So, I historically look for the bigger size, aggressiveness, and overall temperament.

I bought current lab Coley in Montana 3 years ago for $550.00 (more than I wanted to pay really)...Fully papered...His parents were on site...The dad was big and blocky...The mom was thinner, but still pretty...When I started playing with the 2 males that were left...Coley couldn't get enough of fetching the ball...I picked him...He is thin and runs great...He loves upland and waterfowl hunting goes without saying....Your hunting experience will never be the same after owning a dog....... :heart:

View attachment 60520
This is a nice perspective too. I'm not opposed to either. Maybe in a bit when I'm ready to seriously look into getting a dog I might go this route. The dog and I can figure out this hunting business together. Just concerned I would mess up the training, maybe starting out getting one that's trained would be easier, on the flip side seems like a good activity to have and a nice way to build a solid relationship with the dog.

Reactions: ilovesprig

View attachment 60520
According to The American Kennel Club the most popular breed in North America since 2022 is the French bulldog (you can thank Lady Ga Ga for that) Labs are # 2 now . Many breeds and many disciplines that can be trained into dogs and price and training can have a big effect on the outcome. I was a retriever guy until my wife showed me what a versatile dog could do (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association).You just need to decide what fits you, your lifestyle and what suits you best. Everyone one who hunts birds that can should have a dog to enjoy the full spectrum of hunting. It's a whole different dimension

According to The American Kennel Club the most popular breed in North America since 2022 is the French bulldog (you can thank Lady Ga Ga for that) Labs are # 2 now . Many breeds and many disciplines that can be trained into dogs and price and training can have a big effect on the outcome. I was a retriever guy until my wife showed me what a versatile dog could do (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association).You just need to decide what fits you, your lifestyle and what suits you best. Everyone one who hunts birds that can should have a dog to enjoy the full spectrum of hunting. It's a whole different dimension

Maybe I should state, #1 hunting dog.......................... ;)

Maybe I should state, #1 hunting dog.......................... ;)
YEP, I guess it just comes down to what you like in gun dogs. According to NAVHDA the German Shorthair Pointer is the most popular versatile hunting breed in north America ( versatile dogs are different than retreivers as far as the multitude of disciplines that they can be trained in) Not as well known as labs for sure but that's what keeps it interesting. To each his own....

Attachments

• kennel web site pictures 160.jpg
    kennel web site pictures 160.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 5
  • kennel web site pictures 166.jpg
    kennel web site pictures 166.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 5
  • kennel web site pictures 168.jpg
    kennel web site pictures 168.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 5

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu