First ducks of the season

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Well after an unsuccessful big game season I wanted to get out and do some duck hunting. Went out for a Snake River blast & cast.

The night before my buddy realized one of his trailer lights wasn't working so I went and bought a set for him and went over to help install..installed one and they were working and we should have left well enough alone but replaced the 2nd one then neither of them worked..after a few hours we found that it was a blown fuse so finally got them working.

Morning of we head out nice and early get to the boat ramp 1.5hrs before shooting light and he does another inspection and his throttle is locked up. We take things apart and after an hr it finally works..not sure if it was frozen up from the cold but we got it. Then we get into the water..I go and park his truck and come back and see that there's is water at my buddies feet..he forgot to put one of the plugs in..we wait another 30 min for it to drain out then finally take off to the island.

On top of it all there was some heavy fog. As we approach the island over 100 ducks fly off at the sound of the jet boat approaching..I get out and toss out a dozen decoys and get settled in.

Set my decoys and noticed that they were being moved by the current even tho they had 6oz weights..had to move my spread to the end of the island where the current wasn't flowing as much. You could not see anything in the distance so if one flew by or into my decoys you wouldn't see it until last sec. I managed to drop 4 ducks but 2 of them landed at the edge of my spread where the current was moving quickly and they got taken down current before I could get to them. Shot a hen mallard who was landing in my decoys then got a nice drake a little later. I had to double tap him and he started to flow down. I made my way in after him and after going about 65 yds down river in chest high water I had to use the end of my barrel to stop him. Realized once I turned around I was walking against the current..felt a little dicey but made it back to the island safely.

My buddy was off getting his lines went then came by to pick me up around 10am so we can move spots and go to one of his sturgeon holes.

Unfortunately the sturgeon weren't biting but we had a nice fire going on the shore as we soaked some bait. Overall it was fun to be out there and bring at least a couple ducks home for dinner even tho it felt like everything was trying to stop us from going.

Cooked them up with some elk backstrap I got from my uncle. Made a cowboy butter to go along with it.

VideoCapture_20231122-152255.jpg

VideoCapture_20231127-093209.jpg

IMG_20231122_184802.jpg

20231122_094914.jpg

20231122_103829.jpg

20231202_172855.jpg

20231202_174008.jpg

As a new member here I'm pretty speechless. Set up in a spot where you can only retrieve 50% of your quarry??

Well after an unsuccessful big game season I wanted to get out and do some duck hunting. Went out for a Snake River blast & cast.

The night before my buddy realized one of his trailer lights wasn't working so I went and bought a set for him and went over to help install..installed one and they were working and we should have left well enough alone but replaced the 2nd one then neither of them worked..after a few hours we found that it was a blown fuse so finally got them working.

Morning of we head out nice and early get to the boat ramp 1.5hrs before shooting light and he does another inspection and his throttle is locked up. We take things apart and after an hr it finally works..not sure if it was frozen up from the cold but we got it. Then we get into the water..I go and park his truck and come back and see that there's is water at my buddies feet..he forgot to put one of the plugs in..we wait another 30 min for it to drain out then finally take off to the island.

On top of it all there was some heavy fog. As we approach the island over 100 ducks fly off at the sound of the jet boat approaching..I get out and toss out a dozen decoys and get settled in.

Set my decoys and noticed that they were being moved by the current even tho they had 6oz weights..had to move my spread to the end of the island where the current wasn't flowing as much. You could not see anything in the distance so if one flew by or into my decoys you wouldn't see it until last sec. I managed to drop 4 ducks but 2 of them landed at the edge of my spread where the current was moving quickly and they got taken down current before I could get to them. Shot a hen mallard who was landing in my decoys then got a nice drake a little later. I had to double tap him and he started to flow down. I made my way in after him and after going about 65 yds down river in chest high water I had to use the end of my barrel to stop him. Realized once I turned around I was walking against the current..felt a little dicey but made it back to the island safely.

My buddy was off getting his lines went then came by to pick me up around 10am so we can move spots and go to one of his sturgeon holes.

Unfortunately the sturgeon weren't biting but we had a nice fire going on the shore as we soaked some bait. Overall it was fun to be out there and bring at least a couple ducks home for dinner even tho it felt like everything was trying to stop us from going.

Cooked them up with some elk backstrap I got from my uncle. Made a cowboy butter to go along with it.
Great write up and good looking plate.
Congrats on the success even if there was a few hiccups. A bad day on the river beats a good day working...

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
As a new member here I'm pretty speechless. Set up in a spot where you can only retrieve 50% of your quarry??
Had not hunted that spot before and it wasn't by choice that I could not retrieve them. I went after them but they got taken by the current and it got too deep to keep going. Hunting rivers is different and Im learning since I am new to Idaho. Also they don't go to waste..lots of predators out here who will get an easy meal. I also would have counted them against my daily limit if I was able to get more.

nice job... river hunting is a whole level up from refuge hunting. Live and learn. even having a dog can be a problem if the water is moving fast.

Nothing goes to waste in the wild ever, if the mammals did not get them the fish did, Bummer that Horto was not able to retrieve ( Dog in your future Horto and that may not have even been safe for the dog) but safety is more important than anything especially when you have family that depends on you.

Nothing goes to waste in the wild ever, if the mammals did not get them the fish did, Bummer that Horto was not able to retrieve ( Dog in your future Horto and that may not have even been safe for the dog) but safety is more important than anything especially when you have family that depends on you.
Definitely looking forward to getting a dog once we are in a house sometime next year...a dog then maybe a boat :laughing:

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Definitely looking forward to getting a dog once we are in a house sometime next year...a dog then maybe a boat :laughing:
I have a dog coming in the next few months. Going to be at least a year or so till i can hunt with him.
I am in Oregon and I think eastern Oregon is about half way for us both... Maybe we can meet up and pick each others brains and kill some quail, pheasants, or waterfowl...
Again Strong work bringing in the ducks you could. I also hear upland is awesome in ID...

I have a dog coming in the next few months. Going to be at least a year or so till i can hunt with him.
I am in Oregon and I think eastern Oregon is about half way for us both... Maybe we can meet up and pick each others brains and kill some quail, pheasants, or waterfowl...
Again Strong work bringing in the ducks you could. I also hear upland is awesome in ID...
Thanks bud! I definitely would be down to check out eastern Oregon and link up sometime! I hear there is good pheasant hunting out that way. & yes I've heard the upland can be good out here. Still trying to familiarize myself with the different areas but I always hear quail when I'm duck hunting and they are around where I live. I've seen some grouse in the mountains also.

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Hunted the snake once many, many years ago. One of the guys in the group had an exceptional black lab. I dropped probably the biggest mallard drake I've ever seen in the river and the current got it and I thought it was lost. The dog heard the shot and ran over to where I was, saw the duck, and was after it in a flash. She must have swam at least a quarter mile after it and finally caught up to it, swam to shore, walked back with the duck to where I was, and dropped it at my feet.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu