First time in the backcountry

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
After several years of hunting within a few miles of the truck, I drew a mule deer tag for a unit in AZ with a big wilderness area, so I was excited to just dive in and leave the truck behind. I questioned my choice of trailhead when I pulled in to sleep and heard at least 30 trucks drive by during the night, but in the morning there was only 1 horse trailer parked there.

I hiked in to my glassing knob and spent a couple of days glassing off both sides of the mountain. It was some big country and I was able to glass up some cow elk, but the mule deer are elusive. I got excited when I spotted a buck, but then quickly realized it was a Coues Deer. I made a mental note to apply for that tag next time.

One mistake I made was relying on a spring at the base of the mountain for my water source; the trail between the spring and the summit was steep and nasty. In hindsight I should've filled up all 7L of my water containers and then embraced the sucky climb with a heavy pack, then at least I would've been able to stay up there longer.

Overall I put 27 miles on my boots and am happy with the effort I put in. I also learned a lot about myself and what gear I'd be willing to pack in next time. But I'm definitely hooked and all I can think about is going lighter and deeper next time.Glassing Setup.pngCoues.pngCamp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunts in the backcountry to me is what is all about.
As it relates to water, in my experience here in southern CA there is no way I can rely on a water source. I ran out of water once and I will never forget how bad it sucked.
The couple of guys I invited in the past too joined me for that type of hunt they will never do it again they said..lol..too much work, too many miles..bla bla bla. But I tell you what, one learns a lot in those types of hunts especially when hunting alone. Self-reliance, safety, and critical thinking is what is all about.. or as some people would say..(don't do anything stupid and don't take unnecessary risks).
Great hunt!..thanks for the pics.

Awesome Zak, seems like you definitely have the motivation to get and stay after it. That’s a dang nice Coues buck you saw too. I hope our chats have helped you. I’m just back from a couple grueling days in the mountains myself. Sometimes the mountains give, and sometimes they take.

Reactions: Zak
Dude..27 miles...I'm exhausted when I gotta drive 27 miles in the truck while road hunting...AZ is overated...I like them any buck units...never trust Whitey. He,ll always sneak up on ya...damn .

Reactions: Zak

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu