First time turkey hunting with my brother

Ajsnack

Jun 5, 2012
San Diego
So from the title of this post, It was a successful hunt from the beginning. We headed out yesterday morning a few minutes behind schedule. We showed up before sunrise but it wasn't dark and almost immediately we had a bird gobbling over the hill. So we scrambled to get our stuff together and head up the hill. Goal was to get my brother his first bird. We set up almost all the way up the hill but didn't want to crest the hill because we didn't know exactly where these birds were. So we sat down and I started calling just some simple yelps. He was responding almost immediately. I didn't want to over call him so we sat and after a little while i would yelp and he would respond. We sat for a couple of hours but he never did come over the hill. Overall saw 7 birds did not have an opportunity at a bird. Saw two gobblers strutting on the neighboring property and saw a really nice bird as we were driving out. BUt in the end it was still a fun day of hunting with my brother.

Nice job Snack. The area you are hunting is usually a slam dunk. This year it has been very tough! glad you were able to spend some time in the field with your brother.

And thank you both for your service to our country!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu