First Turkey, First Bow Kill

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
I was lucky enough to participate in a private ranch turkey hunt in Jamul. I don't want to glorify this as a hunt necessarily but I killed my first turkey saturday morning, not only was it my first turkey but it was also my first kill with my bow. The hunt wen like this: Got to the ranch about 6 A.M. saturday morning, handled logistics with the property owner then began hunting. I walked the property and listen for clucks about 8 I started hearing some clucks about 100 yards away behind some rocks. The closer i go to the rocks I noticed it was a large rock bowl with some bushes in the middle. I got up on a rock and saw three large turkeys right bellow me. Luckily the biggest of the three was the farthest only 13 yards. My first pin is sighted in for 20yards so I drew and held the pin at the base of the neck. I let the arrow fly and hit him dead center, (arrow entered lower then I had liked) the arrow went right through its organs and exited the off side leg since the turkey was quartering to.

I was fortunate to have my P.I.C. (partner in crime) by my side with the video camera to get it all on film. Thanks Jolene.

Please let me say I personally would feel guilty attempting to pass this off as a hunt. This was a private ranch with turkeys that were planted. Just to be clear. I hunted twenty days of D16 with nothing to show for it....... thats hunting in my opinion vs hunting a planted ranch. Either way I was very thrilled and excited to have the opportunity to harvest a turkey with my bow

Speaking of turkey its in the oven currently stuffed with a chicken and a mallard I shot yesterday. (see other post)

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 30
Nice bird, I'd take that all day.

What head did you use? I'm interested, I'll be trying for turkey with my bow next week.

Jon,

Canned hunt or not.......You're gaining experience that will be used when the moment of truth happens on wild stuff......Great going!........ 8)

gregg said:
Nice bird, I'd take that all day.

What head did you use? I'm interested, I'll be trying for turkey with my bow next week.

Hey gregg, I shot this turkey with a 100gr rage hyperdermic...... I know this isn't really the broad head of choice for turkey hunters but it def got the job done. In preparation for this hunt I practice shooting a small lemon(smaller then a turkey head or neck) from 20-40 yards.

I know their are broad heads specifically made for turkeys which have wires or long slender blades to hit the neck and leave a little margin for error.

Nice bird. The way work, works me canned hunts will be all I can hope to get out to next year. I just want to learn from it, so when I do get time to get out, I have some experience behind me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

PyroTekRob said:
Nice bird. The way work, works me canned hunts will be all I can hope to get out to next year. I just want to learn from it, so when I do get time to get out, I have some experience behind me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
If you want to learn fast, maybe consider a guided hunt instead of just a fenced area hunt. Working with a guide will show you how to find game in its natural habitat. The first hunt I did out here was a fenced hunt. (I didn't realize it till I got there.) I always learn a tremendous amount when I hunt alongside a pro or anyone with more experience.
Hope that helps.

I plan on doing a pig hunt and or a bear hunt with GSGS...... The reason I decided to do this hunt was the ranch owner is a family friend and had been asking me to for the last three years. Since my D16 efforts have been unsuccessful for the last five seasons I decided to get the stink off. I had mixed feelings after this hunt to be honest (after twenty days in the field this D16 season and all the work I have out in other the last five years I almost felt guilty and unsatisfied.

that's a big ole turkey, why is it missing its head? you shoot off its head?

baboltin said:
that's a big ole turkey, why is it missing its head? you shoot off its head?

No i didn't shoot it off completely it was half off at the very base, I began cleaning it before pictures but the girlfriend stopped me before i got to carried away for pictures

Congrats good shooting. That beats getting it at the grocery store any day.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu