Found the Mother Lode......Dove

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Jacob and I decided to give the valley one more try......Started in a friends duck club, but it was pretty slow. At about 7:00 am, we decided to make a move off the area.....As we start driving around, Jacob says, are those all doves?.....Yep, and by the bunches.....Cut wheat stubble field which was posted, but across the road was wildland and it was not.....Out come the spinners and decoys and it was 25 birds (had 5) in about 45 minutes..... ;)

I love the IV......... 8)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    603.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    572.3 KB · Views: 54
Nice going Jacob.......young eyes really help

I shot the same spot as the opener Friday evening & Saturday am. Needed more hunters but we had a farmer & Warer guy driving & flooding all around us and it helped. Easy limits both hunts for me lots of shots we're right at you then you flash at 30-40 yards and shoot......Zoe had it easy!

On a safety note the water guy was telling us stories of rattlers all come out of newly floored fields. So keep a heads up for you and your dog........now in my many years down there never seen one not one but I hunt the boarder lots of cleaned ditches & no cover but I'll be looking now....

Looks awesome... my favorite spot was so slow on the opener and again this weekend. As a result, I'm making a "Bad Day Dove Risotto" from the TWO doves I got. I'll post it when it's done in Recipes just in case anyone wants to try the recipe, though you guys never seem to do as poorly.

I've been reading a bunch of posts on the topic and it looks like you can hunt most land unless it's clearly posted otherwise? Like "No Trespassing"? The land I've got permission to hunt was posted as such a season ago, but now has no such posting even though I know the same guy owns it. Just curious. I'm paranoid about trespassing or getting caught hunting where I shouldn't be. Sometimes I want to ask someone and snoop around the property in question, only to not find a single living soul around. Oh well, such is the work of hunting.

Holly,

Nothing wrong with "snooping" around and trying to get permission from land owners or leases.....I never stop looking for properties and permission.....It's really the way of the future unfortunately.

Another old trick in the IV is guys posting property that doesn't belong to them.....Most legit land owners have their name on the signs (although not required) per F & G code 2017

Suburban Adventuress said:
Looks awesome... my favorite spot was so slow on the opener and again this weekend. As a result, I'm making a "Bad Day Dove Risotto" from the TWO doves I got. I'll post it when it's done in Recipes just in case anyone wants to try the recipe, though you guys never seem to do as poorly.

I've been reading a bunch of posts on the topic and it looks like you can hunt most land unless it's clearly posted otherwise? Like "No Trespassing"? The land I've got permission to hunt was posted as such a season ago, but now has no such posting even though I know the same guy owns it. Just curious. I'm paranoid about trespassing or getting caught hunting where I shouldn't be. Sometimes I want to ask someone and snoop around the property in question, only to not find a single living soul around. Oh well, such is the work of hunting.
see this post

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

Ghost

Ghost said:
see this post

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

Ghost

Wow, great post Ghost, and it raises as many questions as it answers. For instance: I've had Border Patrol roll right past me many times as I'm sitting near my parked car, gun in hand, within 200 yards of an artificial water source, and never been hassled about that... and you know they are bored as hell. Hmmm... going to come back to pour over that post later.

ilovesprig said:
Holly,

Nothing wrong with "snooping" around and trying to get permission from land owners or leases.....I never stop looking for properties and permission.....It's really the way of the future unfortunately.

Another old trick in the IV is guys posting property that doesn't belong to them.....Most legit land owners have their name on the signs (although not required) per F & G code 2017

Steve

people don't do that do they? :eek: :-[

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu