Full Day in our Local Mountains....2-26-18

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Started early and got gobbles in one of the youth hunting zones for the 1st time this spring....Yeah!....Then it was run and listen again.....Just can't find those big flocks and I'm starting to think our recruitment was only fair at best.....Jakes are doing some moving though.....Saw groups of 8, 15, and 5 with some longs mixed in.

Drove the Mesa Grande area and had to whack a few squirrels.....More rain is really needed.

After the scouting & shooting, I headed for Palomar Mountain.....Lots of small crappie, bluegill, and actually a couple of nice bass.....This pond almost went dry in the drought.....Happy it has fish at all......A few pix, including America's national bird.

.002.JPG 004.JPG 068.JPG 072.JPG 076.JPG 012.JPG 015.JPG 020.JPG 346.JPG

Last edited:
I've seen no improvement in turkey numbers since last year, Have not seen a tom, jake or hen in three months (used to be hundred's). My pond is down seven feet even though it's spring fed. The herons are moving in and killing all the fish I stocked last fall. Bottom line we are still in a drought and without rain it will be another bad year for the wildlife.

Nice report Steve. Hope the storms today and Friday help fill up our ponds and help out the wildlife as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, have you gone out to check out the wildlife in the snow. I hear another storm in coming in very soon?

Steve, have you gone out to check out the wildlife in the snow. I hear another storm in coming in very soon?

Rich,

San Felipe?......If that's it, there are a few birds near there, but I have not put a visual on a bird in 2 springs.....This guy 2016

.016.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu