Gear for back country bushwhacking

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
We already have some good threads on survival gear and navigation, but I'm thinking of specific gear people find useful trying to get through thick brush. Yesterday Ghost and I did a scouting hike that tested my gear.
I'll offer some thoughts based on that experience and ask others to chime in.
First, my Kenetrek mountain extreme 10" boots were very comfortable and my feet weren't hot despite the 400grams of thinsulate. When I got them, some on here thought the insulation might be too hot in SCAL; doesn't seem to be a problem, but I do wear a wool liner sick under my heavier hiking socks.
Second, my turtleskin snake gaiters prevented any scratches from the thick rose bushes, but my thighs took a beating so today I ordered their chaps. I never really thought about snake chaps for this application before. Also I see that turtleskin makes gloves but I have cheap goat skin gloves from Gempler's that have Kevlar lining. Soft, don't stiffen after getting wet, and the Kevlar stops nearly all sharps from penetrating. Oh and the gaiters were pretty comfortable despite the heat. I liked that.
Third, what are folks' thoughts on machetes? Carbon, stainless, or high-carbon stainless blade? Brand? Full tang of course, but how about design of the blade? Bolo style?

Don,

I used to have a Cold Steel machete, carbon, with the traditional (latin?) style blade, not a rounded or bolo style. I liked it good enough.. it served its purpose for me, which at the time living in Hawaii was mostly whacking through ferns and chopping the occasional banana tree -- mostly soft fleshed plants. Not sure how it'd hold up to the woodsy chaparral out here but I assume just fine. Gerber also makes a nice looking one as does SOG -- I think the SOG one I was interested in is called the SOGfari? May have been a 24", not sure, but I always liked the longer bladed ones since they seem to swing better for me than the shorter ones. I think the SOGfari also has a serrated side for sawing through tree limbs if needed. Whichever you decide post up a review.. I'd like to hear what you pick and how it works out here.

Thanks Jason. Great info. I'll look at the SOGfari and be sure to post a review later.

There are a lot of designs, good quality brands, and some excellent reviews on machetes. A number of folks I've asked, and some discussions on other forums, have mentioned blades breaking with heavy use. The good companies seem to stand behind their products and replace broken ones, but brittle blades are a product of modern tempering processes and it's common with axes and hatchets as well as machetes. I am shopping for a blade 18" long or better with full tang and riveted handle.
I want to give a shout out to the boys at Bow n arrow shop. I took my bow over to have them check my string and cables after the rough treatment it took strapped to my back. The fiber optic housing was cracked and the strings and cables are showing a little wear. They tuned it up while I waited. Don't know what I'd do without those guys.

#1 one thing for bushwacking is safety and being prepared. I like to carry an MRE not just for safety but maybe i get far out there and dont want to go back well now I have lunch and can keep going. I allways have a 3 liter bladder in my back pack. I also have whistles in mine and my boys packs.

I try to go around the thick stuff.......had a pig bayed up by the dogs a few years back in the manzanita. After I hacked through the first tree I called the dogs off and let the pig live another day.......stay away from manzanita it's hard wood to cut without a chainsaw.....

If I find a game trail I'll follow it into the thick stuff but otherwise I go around.

Get a bow sling by promos it will cove your strings & cables and someone makes a cover for your sight

MJB said:
I try to go around the thick stuff.......had a pig bayed up by the dogs a few years back in the manzanita. After I hacked through the first tree I called the dogs off and let the pig live another day.......stay away from manzanita it's hard wood to cut without a chainsaw.....

If I find a game trail I'll follow it into the thick stuff but otherwise I go around.

Get a bow sling by promos it will cove your strings & cables and someone makes a cover for your sight

Nice Tip Mark

My bow too got beat up.

Ghost

Yeah I have a sling but didn't bring it because my bow was on my X1 pack. Next time out I'll remove the strap and just use the neoprene string/cable cover to protect the cables/string in the butt bucket of the pack.
Agree that it's wise to avoid the thick stuff. I wish I were wise all the time...Nah!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu