Genereal area for wild hogs in central/ southern california?

Capt.bones

Sep 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
Been awhile since ive posted. Life has been busy. I live in san diego and wanted to take advantage of the year round hog tags. I killed one at tejon ranch several years back, but i dont want to do the ranch thing. Id like to try and find one on my own. I know theres hardly any down here in san diego, but im willing to drive to the cental areas of cali to pin one down. Any ideas of where i can start looking or planning. Thinks for the feedback, much appreciated as i am a solo self taught hunter.

FHL is ok if you know how to navigate the system. There is no scouting allowed, you can only hunt it on weekends, they close many areas randomly and they won't tell you which ones will be open until Friday afternoon, the areas are not on onx, you need to go thru a background check, you need to register your firearm, some areas do not allow rifles, there are fees...the list goes on...
Is it worth it? I supposed if you live close by and you take the time to know the zones.

FHL is ok if you know how to navigate the system. There is no scouting allowed, you can only hunt it on weekends, they close many areas randomly and they won't tell you which ones will be open until Friday afternoon, the areas are not on onx, you need to go thru a background check, you need to register your firearm, some areas do not allow rifles, there are fees...the list goes on...
Is it worth it? I supposed if you live close by and you take the time to know the zones.
You listed most of the reasons I stopped hunting there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu