Going to New Cuyama for Quail

Stump7100

Oct 21, 2015
Couldn't make it to the duck opener after I was pulled # 80 at Wister because of kids sports. But I now have a chance to hunt quail on a private ranch in Cuyama. I guess it may make up for it. Leaving tonight.

I think that is par for the course. Quail still haven't rebounded from the lack of water. Of course this is purely anecdotal from my time in the field. I hunt a premium ranch that is prime habitat. On good years everyone limits by 12 or 1. The last 3-4 years or so have been rough. I went out last week and got 6 birds over 2 days. There are quite a bit of more quail than last year but the numbers still aren't back.

SluiceCoot said:
I think that is par for the course. Quail still haven't rebounded from the lack of water. Of course this is purely anecdotal from my time in the field. I hunt a premium ranch that is prime habitat. On good years everyone limits by 12 or 1. The last 3-4 years or so have been rough. I went out last week and got 6 birds over 2 days. There are quite a bit of more quail than last year but the numbers still aren't back.

That makes me feel a little better. I bumped a covey of about 50 birds I thought I'd be able to flush them in front of me into a field but instead they flushed and flew over me into property I can't hunt. It was a bummer.

Especially during the tough years its helps to go with a few guys. The place I hunt the quail seem to always flush uphill, so when we are working a covey someone will go high and someone will go low. A bit of teamwork and you should have a few more in the hand.

At least you didn't get skunked. I've had plenty of days that I've come home empty handed. Still, even on those days I would rather be out in the field with my dog, family, friends, than sitting in front of a TV.

Cheers

SluiceCoot said:
Especially during the tough years its helps to go with a few guys. The place I hunt the quail seem to always flush uphill, so when we are working a covey someone will go high and someone will go low. A bit of teamwork and you should have a few more in the hand.

At least you didn't get skunked. I've had plenty of days that I've come home empty handed. Still, even on those days I would rather be out in the field with my dog, family, friends, than sitting in front of a TV.

Cheers

Well you know what they say about a good plan.....I had it set up like an L shaped ambush pushing uphill into the covey and my hunting buddy in the tree line to my left uphill. It was an amazing plan until the covey bum rushed me flew over head I shot twice watched the hit bird followed it with my eyes into the brush so I did loose it. Then looked back up and nothing, every last bird flew over me into another ranch and kee kee'd to indicate they were giving me the finger if they had one.......I need a dog

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu