Golden Trout

surfcity

I don't play nice with baby killing gun grabbers
Jan 20, 2014
Huntington Beach
www.nra.com
So this kid I know.... He catches fish when nobody else does... One of those guys. Tonight he spent 4.5 hrs trying to real in a 200lb swordfish on his ocean kayak and it snap his line just before he gaffed him. Then paddled in to Newport Harbor in the pitch dark with a mini squall around him and his fishing buddy... he said they barely made it into the harbor The guy is INSANE when it comes to fishing. He had a much better day on Sunday and landed this record Golden Trout at the June Lake Loop at 8000 elevation. He had a much better day on Sunday. I have never seen a Golden this big beforegolden.gif

Fred,

I looked at that picture hard as well...True goldens are a smallish fish...Or at least the ones I've caught...lol
The other thing Steve that I see is you generally do not find them that low off the mountain and that they are a very petite species as you said because of that and the lack of feed where they range along with how short the feed season they endure up that high. There is not a migartion path for them that makes sense so unless someone brought them in I don't think so. It's alway's been my experience that you have to get very high to catch one. Never seen a golden with a hook jaw as well, seen many browns that way in the fall when they spawn. It's a light colored brown or at best a hybrid which I don't think it is. Only way to know for sure is through genetic research.

That is a great fish, but not a golden. June lake has Lahontan cutthroat trout, the largest of the cutthroat trout. My guess is that is what he caught. That or a cut-bow hybrid. Rainbows and cutthroat readily hybridize. Congrats on the beautiful fish, that’s a lunker whatever it is. Stream goldens are universally “small.”
If you want to catch big goldens backpack into Royce lakes and have at it.

I've caught the same breed on the june lake loop, definitely a hybrid but very fun to catch (and eat!).

Reactions: Sdhunt17
9.8 lb landed in Virginia Lake in 1952 California record. I don't know fellas comparing it to other big golden trout caught this bad boy looks legit. Regardless its back in the water

No goldens in the June loop or as low as 8000' in the Eastern Sierra (anywhere?). Not close to a state or world record but I'd love to know the details without a specific body of water. Only huge goldens I've seen in my lifetime are from lakes much farther south and are long hikes.

So this kid I know.... He catches fish when nobody else does... One of those guys. Tonight he spent 4.5 hrs trying to real in a 200lb swordfish on his ocean kayak and it snap his line just before he gaffed him. Then paddled in to Newport Harbor in the pitch dark with a mini squall around him and his fishing buddy... he said they barely made it into the harbor The guy is INSANE when it comes to fishing. He had a much better day on Sunday and landed this record Golden Trout at the June Lake Loop at 8000 elevation. He had a much better day on Sunday. I have never seen a Golden this big beforeView attachment 41964
That’s not a golden

I have caught a lot Goldens on the fly up to 16 inches or so. No way is that fish a pure one. All the ones I have caught have been at 9500 feet and higher. That looks like it has a lot of Cut in him. Regardless, it is a nice trout on the fly.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu