Got lucky today...

Fallguy

Jan 27, 2013
It has been a tough season so far. Like everyone is saying, the drought has been rough for the birds. The Friday before opener, I scouted a spot that has produced toms for me the last three years. I didn't see or hear a bird. I was disapointed but not surprised. With plan A gone and no plan B, I didn't hunt opening weekend.

The second weekend, I hiked into a spot that I knew was holding birds but I had never hunted it before. Heard one gobbler and saw a few hens. Not very promising but at least I was in the game.

Yesterday I hiked in again but only saw one hen and didn't hear any gobbles. I was set up in a small clearing with a cattle trail running down the middle that was loaded with turkey tracks.

Today I slept in and got up there about 9am. I hike up the mountain and got to a vantage point about 500yds away where I could glass down into the valley and see the tree where I had been hunting. Right away I spot two hens walking by my blind at ten yards. A few minutes later I see the big tom following them and stops full strut not ten yards from my blind. I was so pissed! I mumbled to myself every profanity I knew. Thought for sure that was my one and only chance. I sit down and watch them feed off. I wait about fifteen minutes and slowly sneak down into my blind. I settle in and put out a few soft yelps. Nothing... I yelp louder and cut myself off with a gobble shaker. Imediately the tom gobbles about a hundred or so yards away behind some thick brush. A little bit more calling and he is coming in hot. I spot him about fifty yards away under a oak surrounded by brush. I can barely see him through a tiny window in the brush. He was strutting and gobbling away. Pretty cool sight! Definitely got my blood pumping. For fifteen minutes I just watched him while I had my gun up beaded on his head. He gets behind some brush and I lose sight of him. I was sure he was gonna appear closer and give me a shot. After fifteen minutes or so, I give out a quiet yelp and nothing. I then hit him with a gobble shaker and he gobbles about a hundred yards out. I was so bummed! I had blew it again! Should of taken the shot! I sneak out to the next tree and spot him about 80yds out. I thought I was busted for sure. Amazingly he just keeps feeding and strutting following his hens. They feed off and I am disgusted. I back off and get back in my blind next to the cattle trail, hoping they would come back this way to the area where they roost. After making countless phone calls, texts and emails it was nearing 3pm. I finally see four hens walking up the trail and they pass by at about ten yards. I was in disbelief the tom wasn't with them. I sit tight and am totally stoked when I finally see the tom coming up the trail. This was it! No getting away this time! Let him get in to about 15yds and dropped the hammer! I got lucky today...

Attachments

• 20 lb 10in.JPG
    20 lb 10in.JPG
    862.7 KB · Views: 55
Way,

Awesome gobbler............Great patience, woodsmanship, and knowing how to turkey hunt will make the difference this year with so few birds.........Great job........ ;)

Doesn't surprise me. You are a stud Way. Nice job on the whopper bird! What a great story!

What kind of shells were you using?

That's a bad bird. Still pumped for you. Thanks for stopping by to share the kill yesterday.

Private of Public if you are lucky enough to get a bird this season. I was talking to my neighbor the other day, long time SoCal Hunter resident and a contractor. He doesn't hunt any more. The ducks places he used to be able to shoot just 25yrs ago would amaze you...I digress
He was building a house down in Julian about 6yrs ago.
The residence were getting really pissed off at the turkey population to the point of calling them a nuance.

Is that true...
He has been know to stretch the truth with me after a few...

surfcity said:
Private of Public if you are lucky enough to get a bird this season. I was talking to my neighbor the other day, long time SoCal Hunter resident and a contractor. He doesn't hunt any more. The ducks places he used to be able to shoot just 25yrs ago would amaze you...I digress
He was building a house down in Julian about 6yrs ago.
The residence were getting really pissed off at the turkey population to the point of calling them a nuance.

Is that true...
He has been know to stretch the truth with me after a few...
That story is most likely true the turkey population used to be a lot bigger a few years ago. It's sad to see the turkey population at the size it is now

Man, that is one for the books. I say you made your own luck. Well done, sir!
8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu