GPS hunting apps

coyotekid87

Aug 16, 2014
D11
ok so this is an extension of my previous thread, "legal grounds". Does anyone use any GPS hunting apps for their smartphones? If so, which ones? Today I downloaded the Trimble hunt GPS app, and the Onxmaps app from google play, both seem pretty complicated with the features so I need to familiarize myself with both of them. Have you used either of them? What do you think?

there are a couple recent threads on this. they helped me to pick trimble for my GPS tablet. I use it for scouting, hiking and hunting. It seams to work very well for me and ive got enough memory to store all the central and so cal maps so i dont need cell service or to have to choose what maps i need for a particular hunt. Plus it mounts well in the truck and is big enough to use as a car GPS

i use onxmaps on both my garmin and my samsung s6 the app is very easy to use, on my phone its pretty cool to drop icons of
specific game when you find them,also the borders are very acurate so far, ive found out if its free its usually not that good, for 30.00
for your phone great bargain, its 99.00 for gps 1st time then 30.00 per year for update well worth it.
story set up in a ground blind right on the edge of public and private give or take 20 yards to the property line according to onxmaps,
no fenceline or markings around 10:00 am mr green sleeves shows up and parks down the hill and scopes my position after 15 min drives
away.

I use onxmaps and Trimble on my phone. I like the onxmaps a little better for the details on land boundaries and jurisdiction but they're both good. As implied above, you get what you pay for. I have the onx chip on my GPS as well, just as insurance. I actually had the GPS first so it's just $30 for each map update. But if I had it to do over again, I'd go strictly with the smartphone apps.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu