Great advice on glassing

Can't agree more with every point made especially out here in the west. A tripod is a no brainer. 10x or 15X bino's is also a no brainer with the distances we work at in the west. A spotting scope is also a no brainer. All this gear is not paramount in all scenarios but if you can see a few miles and do not have this stuff you are at a disadvantage. If you cant see the game you cant kill it. In my opinion the key to all of this is to set up on an area and use your glass to break down every ridge and valley as well as every tree and bush.

ya but I learned a lot about glassing on this forum. the difference is tho. is about patience and waiting and sitting still. not a lot movement.. glassed for hours then here they come down or up the trail. especially during the rut.. I know I have to put my self on the board again. but one of these time my luck has to improve.. I need to take it to next level..

I think the bottom line is patience and steadiness. If your binos are moving, you can’t see movement in the field of view. Get high, get comfortable, support your glass the best you can, and get it steady enough to see movement as well as partial shapes. That’s what I took away from the article, and that’s what I’ve learned working with outstanding spotters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bottom line is patience and steadiness. If your binos are moving, you can’t see movement in the field of view. Get high, get comfortable, support your glass the best you can, and get it steady enough to see movement as well as partial shapes. That’s what I took away from the article, and that’s what I’ve learned working with outstanding spotters.

And buy the best glass you can possibly afford. And then spend even more!

You bet Doc , totally agree.. Thank You

also what I was Implying is Glassing is cool. but sit still and be patient and wait. Glassing is a big part..
and so is stealth , and being in the right spot.. any way it's all good stuff.. thanks for posting..

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu