Great fishing Sat 5/19 - went DEEP

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
Headed to the 14 Mile Bank yesterday with Dennis on the 17’ Boston Whaler “Allison Christine”. Left Dana Point Harbor at 6:30 am and first tried to make some mackerel for ling cod bait but just couldn’t find them, so left after an hour with only one in the tank.

I’m new to the trendy “soft pitching” rock fish technique, but I can tell you IT WORKS. We started in 300 feet of water and it was dead. Moved to 450 feet and found a slow pick. Then to 650 feet and started getting a few nice ones. Last stop was 725 feet! Wide open 2 to 5 lb rockfish. Chili Peppers, Bank Perch, Mexican Rockfish.

This isn’t the 1970’s with broom stick rods, giant Penn reels filled with 200 Lb Dacron line, 3 lb sinkers, shrimp fly ganions, and nightmarish 15 minute wind ups. The gear is a pencil thin 6.5 foot graphite rod with eyes that rotate around the rod from the up position closest to the reel to the down position at the tip. The reel I used was an Accurate Valiant 500 which has a very narrow spool holding 500 yards of 30 lb braid. The reel has a long handle and is very high speed. A barrel swivel to a 30 lb mono leader and another barrel swivel to a 300 gram jig.

Every aspect of the outfit is designed to allow fishing super deep without all the misery you would expect. Thin line to reduce resistance, light rod eliminates fatigue, high speed retrieve via deep, narrow spool, rod eye placement, aerodynamic jig falls super fast, and the multiple swivels eliminate dreaded line twist. With this gear, you feel the bite, set the hook as hard as you want, and fight the fish all the way up. Still tiring after a full day, but really fun too.

IMG_0442.jpegIMG_0449.jpegIMG_0445.jpegIMG_0457.jpegIMG_0459.jpegIMG_0448.jpeg

One of the best aspects of this deeeeeep fishing for ground fish is that the sport boats cannot wipe out the spots. It’s way too deep to anchor, and way too deep to drift. On the small boat, we use the electric motor on Anchor Mode. Problem solved.

Reactions: sportyg
One of the best aspects of this deeeeeep fishing for ground fish is that the sport boats cannot wipe out the spots. It’s way too deep to anchor, and way too deep to drift. On the small boat, we use the electric motor on Anchor Mode. Problem solved.

Kevin,

Spot-Lock is the greatest invention since monofilament line.................. :clap:

Reactions: WaterDawg
We're heading out this weekend for tuna and rockfish. I got on board the SPJ bandwagon last year. I'm using a Phenix Titan twig with a Penn Fathom 40 Narrow and 50# braid. Last trip every time I dropped I got hit. Got 5 nice ones in a very short time.

We're heading out this weekend for tuna and rockfish. I got on board the SPJ bandwagon last year. I'm using a Phenix Titan twig with a Penn Fathom 40 Narrow and 50# braid. Last trip every time I dropped I got hit. Got 5 nice ones in a very short time.
Good luck YETI. Post a report when you return. Catching rockfish after failing to find the tuna is something I’m familiar with.

Reactions: YETI
Kevin,

Spot-Lock is the greatest invention since monofilament line.................. :clap:
Spot-lock changes everything for the small boater. We haven’t deployed the anchor once since getting the new electric motor a few years ago. I would say braid was the greatest thing since mono, and Spot-lock is the greatest thing since braid

Spot-lock changes everything for the small boater. We haven’t deployed the anchor once since getting the new electric motor a few years ago. I would say braid was the greatest thing since mono, and Spot-lock is the greatest thing since braid

I don't use braid, but you're probably right....Lots of guys using it............. ;)

Once you start using it, you’ll never go back Steve. No more mono memory, no stretch, no more changing line every other trip. Fresh, salt, I use it on every reel I have. And it revolutionized the tackle industry for the better imo.

I run 100# beyond braid for sturgeon..it's a game changer!

Reactions: WaterDawg
Once you start using it, you’ll never go back Steve. No more mono memory, no stretch, no more changing line every other trip. Fresh, salt, I use it on every reel I have. And it revolutionized the tackle industry for the better imo.

Kevin,

Can I use it directly to Texas rigged plastic or jigs?

ps...Realized, I do have a set-up with braid for frogs and top water stuff.

Steve, For top water straight braid is fine. For everything else I tie braid directly to a few feet of floro leader. I mostly use the RP knot for the connection. It has a very low profile and I’ve never had a problem with it. Go onto YouTube and find a video if you don’t know how to tie it. You can also use a double Uni knot.

Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
Also know as reverse Albright knot. I have been using it for years. It never fails if is tied correctly.
I learned it years ago from the captain of the Royal Polaris, hence the name RP Knot. He claimed he invented it. He only uses five wraps and catches 300 lb tuna, so I’ve never used more than five.

Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
I learned it years ago from the captain of the Royal Polaris, hence the name RP Knot. He claimed he invented it. He only uses five wraps and catches 300 lb tuna, so I’ve never used more than five.
Yep, the RP is the connecting knot of choice. Sadly, we didn't get to test my knots this weekend, the weather was crap and the tuna weren't biting. We did get some rock fish and white fish aka taco fish.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu