Gteam D11 Adventure

Gteam2

Oct 24, 2013
Having a great adventure in D11 so far this season. After having to take a break from running for the past 6 weeks I was left with plenty of time to research and scout for a fun year of hunting D11 with a rifle. I researched an area via google maps and then got out a couple of times during archery and was very happy to find what we did. It is definitely better suited for overnight treks rather than day trips to get the most out of the hikes. Opening day found us back there ready for action and we were not disappointed with the deer we saw. The day ended without a buck being taken but both Gil and I were able to pass on bucks and hope for a chance at some of the ones that kept their distance, a total of 9 bucks and well over 30 does spotted that morning. Eventually we decided to pull out early afternoon that same day as things got a little hairy with the amount of hunters that got back there. I knew we would have to make some adjustments so we went in yesterday Thursday afternoon to set up for a hunt today figuring there would definitely be little to no hunters. Anthony and Albert and a close friend of the GTEAM with his 2 daughters were able to make this trip. We started by setting up are small camp off the beaten path and let the binos do the work till dark. We spotted 2 groups of deer quite a ways out but we could tell that a couple of the critters were acting like hound dogs on a hot trail behind the smaller ones. The plan was to get up early and find them again. This morning we split up to cover as much ground as possible, when Anthony called to inform that he had found a group of deer that had at least 2 bucks, so the game was on. We regrouped and put a plan together to move in and try and get a shot on the bucks. We covered a good distance but had to set up at just under 500 yards due to terrain. Once we were set up I had decided that I would try for one of the bucks and are friend would try for a second of the 3 bucks that were in the group hounding does. They were not holding in one place for very long and at one point a fork and the bigger buck started pushing a doe further away from us and behind brush, I knew I would have to take a shot before they left from view and as the buck came out of the brush I had to make a split decision and pulled the trigger and the buck disappeared from sight immediately. Well it turned out to be the fork not exactly a giant trophy but very grateful for the MEAT and the adventure. Our friend got a shot at the other buck but didn't connect. My 300 Win Mag with Hornady Superformance 165gr GMX round did an awesome job at 470 yds, you can see how well the bullet held up. Thanks to the rest of the GTEAM, Mario and his girls for helping with the long trek out with heavy packs. Good luck to all you keeping at it, time to try and arrow one and fill A31. Gteam2-Fernando

Attachments

• 297.JPG
    297.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 272.JPG
    272.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 284
  • 279.JPG
    279.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 302.JPG
    302.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 244
  • 299.JPG
    299.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 244
Congrats bro! Good job guys and gals that's a heck of trek. Wish I could have made it.

Outstanding Fernando! Your report shows how much effort goes into all the Gteam's successes, and how to do it right on public land. Kudos to your buddy Mario for getting his daughters into it as well. Must have been a fun camp with everyone together.

Bonejour said:
Outstanding Fernando! Your report shows how much effort goes into all the Gteam's successes, and how to do it right on public land. Kudos to your buddy Mario for getting his daughters into it as well. Must have been a fun camp with everyone together.
Thanks Don! It was a fun camp and a great experience for all of us. I'm especially happy to know that Mario's girls had a great time although tough trek with heavy packs and they want to go back.

Sounds like an awesome hunt with the family and friends. Cool story!

Nice shooting Fernando ! 470 yards is a trek for sure. Well done.

That's what its all about, spending time with others hard work and success. Nice!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu