Gteam Success! Solo Adventure in D-11

Gteam2

Oct 24, 2013
Went out today hoping to have a canyon that we had scouted earlier in the year all to myself. Not to be the case, as a matter of fact I couldn't pull in to the spot at all, already occupied by the time I got there at 5:30 am. Time to shift to plan b, go home and go to sleep j/k ;). I went in at a different location putting me well above the majority of the hunters and in a position to stay well out of their way and get to a great vantage point.
I had seen two nice bucks in the area during bow season and figured they might still be around since they seem to be hanging out in an area between 5-8 miles from the nearest road. Well I found this guy and decided to pull the trigger. He was 410 yds out bedded down, too tempting to pass up. After setting up I settled the crosshairs and pulled the trigger, what I didn't anticipate was the buck to reach back and scratch his belly with his muzzle putting his head right in the vitals at the exact same time as I pulled the trigger. The shot went off and he instantly disappeared behind the bush he was bedded at.
After taking some time waiting only to see the does settle down again I decided to change angles and get a view. I could see what seemed to be an antler and a patch of hair through the binos. I moved closer and kept looking and I could slowly make out a deer tangled in the bush from about 200 yds out. Success, I could see 3 points on one side and no antler on the other ???. To my disbelief I had hit him at the base of his right antler taking it off completely and going in to the brain, insta knap! I set the picture up with the antler close to where it should be. Venison in the freezer. Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 336
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 341
Great job and good shooting. Very nice looking buck for sure!

Outstanding Fernando! Congrats. That's wicked accuracy at 410 yards.

Thanks guys! Haven't taken the time to measure how wide but will do once I get the antlers set back in position (Super Glued) :) Good Luck with your hunts!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu