Had a great shoot at the local pond.

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Hey guys and gals. Its been awhile since I posted a kill shot so here we go. Hunted a local spot yesterday and managed to limit out (lost one bird on the hike back :mad: ). The morning was great with lots of GW decoying in but for some reason I couldn't connect with a single bird. Around 10Am after blowing through a lot of shells I started to get hits and nailed two wigeons and a gaddy on a flock that came in. Next up was a flock of wigeon and took two out that group followed by another single wigeon, a pair of drake green heads that I winged (lost him in the middle of the lake), and ended it with a spoonie. Took me all day to do it but managed a decent limit of quality birds with a less then great hike back through some nasty brush. On another note, just as I was gathering up all my honker dekes, I had a low flying group of dozen canadas fly right over me with my pants down.

Now this lake was never a super popular spot but now its literally nuts to butts out here. I used to not have to worry about sky busters and guys who would set up next to you but now the horrible crowd of people that makes duck hunting less then great infiltrated the local spot. Last week there were two dozen geese working towards my spread (still about 100 yards up above) and a group of guys decided to shoot towards them from across my spot literally 200+ yards away. I hope these guys go back to wister soon ;D

Attachments

• IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1847.JPG
    IMG_1847.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Now THOSE are the right hood ornaments for a Chevy!
Congrats! must feel great to harvest a few nice birds.

Not seen much posted about that pond recently. Tells me things must be good there as far as birds. Nice strap.

Thanks guys! It could be better, the water is really low and not a lot of feed for the ducks to stay. on top of that it hasn't been cold enough up north to push new ducks down so its a teal fest right now. I have had better days in previous years. I have had days there where I limited in literally two hours and mostly on mallards and sprigs. I have also pulled limits of honkers and shot a snow there once.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu