Halloween in D16

Jul 17, 2017
Seeing as it was Halloween I decided to dress up as a deer hunter and go out in the field. I parked my truck just after dawn and started my hike into my spot. I got set up around 0830 and a little after an hour later This guy walked out of the brush in front of me at a approximate distance of 15 yards! I had the wind in my face and he did not have a clue I was there. After the shot he ran another 20 yards into a thicket of oak and fell down. After some pictures I field dressed him and quartered him out. Got the meat loaded up and started the 3.5 miles back to my truck.10-31-17 D16 Forked Buck.jpg
10-31-17 D16 Skull.jpg

Thanks for reading and sorry for the big pictures, I'm still figuring things out!

Looks good. Did you strip the skull in te field? Hiw do you do it? Just piece by piece?

Yes. I ended up getting the face off in one piece. I started at the back of the skull and cut up towards the antlers, made a "T" cut at them, then down the nose. From there I was similar to skinning. A little more work was required around the antlers, gum line, eyes, and to take the lower jaw off. I watched a few youtube videos on it before the start of the season.

great job, did you actually look through the scope or just point and shoot at that range

Lol. Yeah I looked through the scope and made a frontal shot on it. I had some buck fever going on. It caught me off-guard and in my mind I seemed like a fumbling idiot getting my rifle shouldered.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu