Havalon Pirananta……Change my Mind

Titan is my edc
My elk engraved piranha is in my pack.
I don't really like the plastic one's.
Sharpening is over rated.....I do have a $600 custom that blows the havalons away so sharp after 12 animals you still can shave with it but I'd loose it first time out.

Reactions: TRICER
Pretty hard to beat the Havalon's. Scalpel sharp, interchangeable disposable blades and inexpensive. Pretty hard to argue. I have a handful of nice field knives but they get left behind to the Havalon. The bonesaw blade is awesome too.

Idk, I carried ones for years and now moving over to custom fixed blade. No doubt that Havalon is sharp, but I think that is its downside. I know guides who refuse to use them in the backcountry because they are a bleedout waiting to happen.

Their inherent risk from being so slicey could lead to some bad situations when you are in deep.

I heard taxi's hate when guys use them too cause they end up screwing up the cape and cause extra work because it's too sharp.
I don't know what's wrong with using a nice little fixed blade that you rake over a hone real quick every so often. The havalon is also ugly, generic, and not a real knife, lol

Cut resistance disposable gloves are a must. Bleeding out in the back country?

So a havalon is more dangerous than an equally sharp solid bladed in the back country?
GIGO

I have the Piranha, Outdoor Edge, plus my "I have no idea the maker" CWA clip pocket knife...To be honest, I like the pocket lock blade knives that aren't so sharp as well... :blush:

ps....Loved my old Buck 110...Just tough to keep an edge on it...And I got lazy...;)

I've always run fixed blades but recently switched to the Havalon Piranta and haven't looked back. I used to carry 2 knives - a custom Damascus blunt point and a Buck. Both were laser sharp but I'd still have to sharpen them mid-process and switch between them to finish. Now I can usually get through a whole D16 deer on a single Havalon blade, using the gutless method. I still use my fixed knives for breakdown at home but not in the field.

Cut resistance disposable gloves are a must. Bleeding out in the back country?

So a havalon is more dangerous than an equally sharp solid bladed in the back country?
GIGO

My fixed blades are not as sharp and I don't need them to be. No need to cut through an elk hide like butter. I've broken down many deer and elk with just a havalon and it can be done...but I would rather have my fixed blade. Making certain cuts is easier with a scalpel while others with a longer blade...plus i like the forgiveness.

Also at the end of the day, hunting is more than just skinning...you need you blade capable of cutting sticks / wood for a fire if needed. Cutting shooting lanes, fixing equipment, etc...and many with a havalon also carry a leatherman...which i believe is better suited for the title of best all around hunting knife.

A fixed bade would be right behind because of the durability.

You may call my opinion garbage...and it very well may be...but this dumpster works! Lol

I've never heard of not using a knife because it's too sharp... I was a skeptic at first but now it's my #1. Breaking down an animal is a job... use the best tool available... I've broken down 2 moose with a havalon. Ed F

Reactions: skeet and TRICER
I've always run fixed blades but recently switched to the Havalon Piranta and haven't looked back. I used to carry 2 knives - a custom Damascus blunt point and a Buck. Both were laser sharp but I'd still have to sharpen them mid-process and switch between them to finish. Now I can usually get through a whole D16 deer on a single Havalon blade, using the gutless method. I still use my fixed knives for breakdown at home but not in the field.
Ya you can do it with one blade but when you switch to a new one man they cut like butter. I buy a 100 pack of the blades on amazon and typically use 2 on a deer one for each side of the animal. I really like them for skinning out my skulls as well really a cool tool.

Pretty hard to beat the Havalon's. Scalpel sharp, interchangeable disposable blades and inexpensive. Pretty hard to argue. I have a handful of nice field knives but they get left behind to the Havalon. The bonesaw blade is awesome too.
John I use my Leatherman for a bone saw. You like the bone saw blades? I am skeptical just because I am worried about the back and forwards motion and the blade coming off. The only thing I use a saw for is removing the ribs other than that I just use the Havalon for the joints and where the spine meets the skull. Do the saw blades work on your normal Havalon or do they attach differently?

If you hit the havalon blade on a steel they sharpen right back up.... keep on going. I also by the 100 pack and use them a lot on taxidermy work. Ed F

There is no way you can get a fixed blade the same sharpness as a replaceable blade. Or you would see surgeons using their trusty fixed blade scalpel. I always liked the out door edge a little better because it has more backbone but realize that if your doing it right you shouldn’t need much back bone and just use some finesse and anatomical knowledge.

I just about died last year breaking a buck down using an Outdoors Edge replaceable blade knife, cutting out the backstrap the blade slipped and buried in my wrist, missed the artery by 1/2", scrapped along the tendon and severed a nerve. It was 6 pm, I was solo, a mile from my truck in the dark in a snow storm, 2 hours from pavement. I slid into the only camp on the mountain at 8 pm and thankfully the lady there was a cardiac nurse with 2 trauma kits, I was going into shock when I got there and am not sure if I'd have made it out without their help.

Everyday I'm reminded of my stupidity with elbow pain and something inside my wrist pops every now and then and the pain is excruciating. I'll stick with my regular knives from now on.

7553C41D-6434-4C40-8962-B2E4CF7D97D2.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu