Havalon Pirananta……Change my Mind

I was super tired during that hunt and a little jet lagged or at least that's what I tell myself today. I was not cutting away from myself (key thing here) and the knife slipped and plunged into the top of my knee. Couldn't bear any weight and had to call for help. I made it to the hospital and checked myself in. They went in to check how bad I had punctured the bursa sac(spelling?) and when I woke up from surgery they said I had lacerated the left half of my quadricep tendon. 6 weeks on the couch in the brace then rehab for another 6 weeks and it was all a bad memory that my wife will never let me forget.

I was super tired during that hunt and a little jet lagged or at least that's what I tell myself today. I was not cutting away from myself (key thing here) and the knife slipped and plunged into the top of my knee. Couldn't bear any weight and had to call for help. I made it to the hospital and checked myself in. They went in to check how bad I had punctured the bursa sac(spelling?) and when I woke up from surgery they said I had lacerated the left half of my quadricep tendon. 6 weeks on the couch in the brace then rehab for another 6 weeks and it was all a bad memory that my wife will never let me forget.
I'm sure she won't. Try not to do that again.

My wife won’t ever let me forget slicing my wrist either, ever…

Its a great knife! Particularly for more delicate work like taxidermy. I prefer the Outdoor Edge though, it's more sturdy (I haven't broken one, can't say the same for Havalon) and I feel like the bigger blades really shine on bigger critters like elk.

Reactions: TRICER
I also want to add, my favorite butchering knife is my 8" bubba blade fillet knife. Once I get home, all work is done with a fillet knife.

And my wife is damn lucky to have me...I remind her often..

I have that same knife, green handle though. Also own a Benchmade too that cost a ridiculous amount of $. Still scratching my head why I bought it.
Benchmade good stuff bro.... regardless of what we all use to break shit down. Be safe....and know the TOOL you workin with!!!!

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
So in my youth whittling a piece of wood with my knife was a hobby done weekly......everybody carried....lol
Little did I know how important of a hand-eye skill, that is now over looked.......or banded

Only time I cut myself with a havalon is when I don't wear cut resistance gloves. It's more of the grip or if my hands are cold.
Let the blade do the work you follow the bone & don't pry the blade.

Remember the blade cuts it's not a pry bar!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu