Hello all! New hunter here looking for someone who could possibly help get me started.

jbezzy28

Dec 25, 2015
Hey everybody, good to be here where it seems there’s actual people with actual knowledge. I live in the Santa Clarita/Acton area, and I’ve been having trouble understanding where I can actually hunt. I’m not asking for any bodies secret spots or anything, but more to see if there’s someone willing to take me out scouting and basically help get me started is all. Just need to be directed in the right way. I’m interested in both small and big game. Rabbits, deer, hogs, and anything in between that I can eat. I have a 22lr which I love and a .308 win that has yet to be broken in as far as harvesting some meat. I know there are apps for this purpose but also none of my friends are into or knowledgeable of hunting , and I’d rather go with someone the first time. Let me know guys!

Reactions: sportyg
Welcome to SCH....You're pretty far from San Diego...So, can't help you much locally...You need to join whatever hunting conservation groups are in your area (DU, RMEF, SCI, CWA, clubs, etc.) or other forums that have hunting forums about SoCal.

Invest in OnX and start driving....Google and You Tube can be your friend too....Ask lots of questions here.....Good luck

Last edited:
Grab that .22 and go for a hike looking for rabbits in BLM/NF. Talk to everyone, fire department, rangers, wardens, other hikers/hunters... Watching youtube like Steve mentioned is a great way to learn also. Don't worry about getting it right or having someone to show you, you're going to make mistakes. Just have fun along the way.

I don't hunt this commie state, but see if you can find a local rod and gun club, and join it. Once you get known to other members, they may be willing to let you join them on one of their trips. Bubblehide made an offer you should take him on. I heard rumors he knows what he is doing.

As a fellow self-taught hunter I can feel your struggle with getting started. I encourage you to get and app like OnX that is very useful in finding public land (BLM or Forrest). Once you have that information you can pretty much hunt anywhere on that land as long as you follow the rules of not shooting too close to occupied dwellings or from/across roads.

I don’t think I could be much help with finding you spots that would produce game as I am still trying to find that every year myself, but I’d be more than willing to help you out in any way I can. If you see an area you are thinking of checking out and want to run it by me to see if it looks like a legal and possibly good area feel free to PM me.

I also have an A31 tag (archery deer tag in Los Angeles County area of D11) that I will be hunting later in the year. I’d be willing to have you tag along if you wanted.

Last edited:
Not much more to add everyone has given you great advice. Go and practice and practice some more get to know your firearms and what you can do with them. Also get your self a good pair of Bios to do the walking for you. Now go burn some boot leather and glass glass and glass some more.

Hey everybody, good to be here where it seems there’s actual people with actual knowledge. I live in the Santa Clarita/Acton area, and I’ve been having trouble understanding where I can actually hunt. I’m not asking for any bodies secret spots or anything, but more to see if there’s someone willing to take me out scouting and basically help get me started is all. Just need to be directed in the right way. I’m interested in both small and big game. Rabbits, deer, hogs, and anything in between that I can eat. I have a 22lr which I love and a .308 win that has yet to be broken in as far as harvesting some meat. I know there are apps for this purpose but also none of my friends are into or knowledgeable of hunting , and I’d rather go with someone the first time. Let me know guys!
Other guys gave you some solid advice. To get the big picture of where to hunt, you can also buy the USDA (US Dept of Ag) National Forest Map of your area from the local Forest Service office. It color codes BLM, National Forest Land, Private Land etc.... Then get OnX Maps on your Cell and learn how to use it. You'll be in good shape.

Reactions: jbezzy28
Your fairly close to me. PM me your name, number, and a few good days and times to call. I'm actually about to head out scouting today, so I'll be gone most of the day. I'll be heading to the Sierras next week.
Hey brother sorry for the late reply! I don’t have any reception where I live. I’ll go ahead and pm you tomorrow so we can get the ball rolling in that. I appreciate you taking the time!

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the responses! I have no reception where I live so this was the first I was able to check back. I’m gonna go ahead and read through all the responses now. Thanks again! I appreciate everyone’s input.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I don't hunt this commie state, but see if you can find a local rod and gun club, and join it. Once you get known to other members, they may be willing to let you join them on one of their trips. Bubblehide made an offer you should take him on. I heard rumors he knows what he is doing.
Most definitely taking him up on it

As a fellow self-taught hunter I can feel your struggle with getting started. I encourage you to get and app like OnX that is very useful in finding public land (BLM or Forrest). Once you have that information you can pretty much hunt anywhere on that land as long as you follow the rules of not shooting too close to occupied dwellings or from/across roads.

I don’t think I could be much help with finding you spots that would produce game as I am still trying to find that every year myself, but I’d be more than willing to help you out in any way I can. If you see an area you are thinking of checking out and want to run it by me to see if it looks like a legal and possibly good area feel free to PM me.

I also have an A31 tag (archery deer tag in Los Angeles County area of D11) that I will be hunting later in the year. I’d be willing to have you tag along if you wanted.
Hey I appreciate that man! I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I’ve actually been scouting the map around my area more and more. I’ll probably PM you with a few sites soon.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu