Hello from an adult onset hunter

jasfisherman

Nov 3, 2017
Hey Guys,
Just thought I would introduce myself as I have been reading some great resources in the members here going into my first year hunting (I have a D16 tag). I grew up in San Diego a fisherman and then into a spearfisherman, then it clicked to me that I should probably be doing this on land. Most all of my hunting interest lies within the big game world and specifically deer. I have been putting in a good amount of miles scouting into this season that kind of all fell apart when season started as I didn't realize the amount of pressure the areas I was scouting would be under. To this point since season started I have encountered one group of 3 does and not much else. So I am planning to check out a different area this weekend but it looks like the walk in literally borders a larger piece of private. My question is; is it considered ok to essentially follow a property line or is that in bad taste? I have onx maps and use them, I know I wouldn't be breaking laws but would I be walking an ethics line?

Cheers,
Jacob

Reactions: Moves
That is good question. And just FYI. Only problem is if it after be shot it runs into private. Better have solid evidence it was shot in public land. The reason I say this. In this state you are guilty until proven innocent. Better have blood on the ground. I would recommend to at least stay away at least 60 or more yards. So if it doesn't drop on the spot it won't make a cross. Steve shoot a note here if it does go from public to private. I heard you can contact DFW. And they can help. But better be well backed up.

Reactions: Bonejour
Jacob,

Welcome to SCH.....We all walk property boundaries one time or another in D-16.....Perfectly legal.....Like Lee said, good idea to have a buffer zone.....If the animal crosses into private you can either contact the owner or if that's not possible, DFW.....You must have permission from the landowner or lessee to retrieve game on private property you don't have permission on.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Awesome guys thanks for the quick responses, it looks like I should stop talking about it and actually go check it out this weekend. I see why hunters are they way they are now, and I mean it in the best way possible. It gets in your blood more than any other hobby I have up to this point, and I gather a lot of hobbies. If I dont get a deer this year it certainly wont discourage me from putting one to bed next year or the following.

Hey Jacob,
I am an adult onset hunter too. Fished all my life. My 11yr old son would rather walk around in the woods with a gun than go fishing. So now We hunt & love it!
If you can swing a weekday off... you’ll likely have the woods to yourself.

Started at 16. Stopped at 17 and started again when I retired in 2012.

Hunt the weekdays if feasible. I get FAR away from roads and I stay away from private (usually Wilderness areas or National Forest). Few years back,I had a bad experience with a private landowner chasing me off public land, with a gun! Said I was on their property. They told me they usually shoot to scare off hunters near their land!!! Luckily I saw them, whistled and waved them over. Showed them the map I had and they said it was wrong....

Had seen a nice 4x4 before the season, while scouting, that routinely left their property and went up the canyon I was hunting. Asked them if I shot a deer and it crossed onto their property would they let me recover it and they said no way.

Figured it was easier to just find a different area entirely. I do understand their POV but their attitude was frustrating. Maybe if more hunters gave private land wider berth, things would be better?

Started at 16. Stopped at 17 and started again when I retired in 2012.

Hunt the weekdays if feasible. I get FAR away from roads and I stay away from private (usually Wilderness areas or National Forest). Few years back,I had a bad experience with a private landowner chasing me off public land, with a gun! Said I was on their property. They told me they usually shoot to scare off hunters near their land!!! Luckily I saw them, whistled and waved them over. Showed them the map I had and they said it was wrong....

Had seen a nice 4x4 before the season, while scouting, that routinely left their property and went up the canyon I was hunting. Asked them if I shot a deer and it crossed onto their property would they let me recover it and they said no way.

Figured it was easier to just find a different area entirely. I do understand their POV but their attitude was frustrating. Maybe if more hunters gave private land wider berth, things would be better?

Brad I fully disagree on the staying away from private. But I do agree it can be easier. But that public land is our land just as much as it is the land owners land. Get ONX maps hunt boundaries do what it takes to get it done. I reported a private land owner who posted off a ton of public land this weekend in AZ. We should never give up or retreat from our public land. We need to respect landowners and obey the laws but a lot of land owners way over step their boundaries. Just because your property borders public does not mean you own the public. I would have instantly reported that landowner who threatened you to DFG. One thing that is helpful is to use the tracking feature on your GPS or phone when close to private so you can cover your butt.

Thread jack sorry!

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu