Hello from AZ!

5footshotgroup

Feb 28, 2017
Hi All,

A few years ago I was diagnosed with late onset hunter syndrome. This condition primarily affects males in their 30's and 40's who spend a lot of time in desk chairs wishing they were outside. I am self medicating with outdoor therapy and looking to expand my treatments to So Cal where I still have some roots.

I grew up in El Cajon back when it was just a little ghetto but not yet super ghetto. I went to college here in AZ, I was in the Army after that and eventually ended up back here in Arizona. I started hunting when a co-worked invited me to go dove hunting and I have since been on Dove, Quail, Thunder Chicken, Deer (3) and Elk (1) and I am such a badass hunter right out of the gate I have eaten all but one of those tags. I think I really only blew one of those hunts and the other two were me just being way too new to know what I was doing.

I've been poking around the forums and there's lots of good stuff here, I am looking forward to meeting some new people and gaining some knowledge. I would be glad to share what I know about AZ hunting if anyone has any questions.

V/R
5' Shot Group

5' SG,

Welcome to SCH.......Great intro.......I've got a sneaking hunch that many of us in SoCal will be hunting more in Arizona......In fact, moving there is even a consideration......Do you have a resident Cali or a Arizona license?

Last edited:
I am a certified AZ resident nowadays. I am planning on hunting Turkeys out there this Spring since my AZ Turkey tag doesn't open until 4/28. For the San Diego hunt I will probably grab an out of state 2 day license. Lot's of sportsmen out here originally from California mostly because you can actually afford a home and to eat out here. Also FAR fewer restrictions on firearms and much more public land access than So Cal. BUT it does get hot as F in the summer but I have adapted and this is home now.

Last edited:
Got it......Yeah, probably more turkey hunting here and definitely more waterfowling in cali.

ps......Mogollon Rim was the 1st place I ever hunted turkeys (1974).....Gould's tag?

Got it......Yeah, probably more turkey hunting here and definitely more waterfowling in cali.

ps......Mogollon Rim was the 1st place I ever hunted turkeys (1974).....Gould's tag?
Probably Merriam's but I can't speak for what was there in 1974. The Gould's are few these days and only on isolated mountains in Southern AZ. Still some good Turkey hunting up on the rim. I had an Elk hunt up there and it can be some nasty country.

What city are you in 5foot? Phoenix? Welcome.
Thanks, I am in Gilbert which is a suburb of Phoenix. For City living its not all that bad I have a dove hunting spot 20 minutes from my front door (until they build more houses) a quail spot 45 minutes away where I have seen some desert mule deer. Elk, Mountain Mulie and Coues are about 2 hours drive.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
Welcome to SCH 5FSG. We look forward to hearing about your future adventures in AZ. And I am always willing to learn what I can from "such a badass hunter"! ;)

Probably Merriam's but I can't speak for what was there in 1974. The Gould's are few these days and only on isolated mountains in Southern AZ. Still some good Turkey hunting up on the rim. I had an Elk hunt up there and it can be some nasty country.

I was actually asking you, if your tag is a Gould's tag?

ps......Arizona has some Rio's now.

I was actually asking you, if your tag is a Gould's tag?

ps......Arizona has some Rio's now.
Reading...obviously not my strong suit. I have a Merriams tag. I always put in for Gould's as my first choice but haven't drawn yet. I have drawn back to back years for Merriams on Camp Navajo near Flagstaff. Yeah we have Rio's but I have never been to that part of the State. Actually probably an easier drive to get there from So Cal that it is from here because the Grand Canyon is in the way.

Reading...obviously not my strong suit. I have a Merriams tag. I always put in for Gould's as my first choice but haven't drawn yet. I have drawn back to back years for Merriams on Camp Navajo near Flagstaff. Yeah we have Rio's but I have never been to that part of the State. Actually probably an easier drive to get there from So Cal that it is from here because the Grand Canyon is in the way.
Another thing to add.. here in CA turkey hunting is not tag based, it is included as part of your upland game bird stamp purchased in addition to your license, and limits are on an "honor system" of 3 bearded birds per season (1 per bag). But NWTF and the local hunting community are advocating for no take of bearded hens and jakes to allow for the decimated population to recover.

Another thing to add.. here in CA turkey hunting is not tag based, it is included as part of your upland game bird stamp purchased in addition to your license, and limits are on an "honor system" of 3 bearded birds per season (1 per bag). But NWTF and the local hunting community are advocating for no take of bearded hens and jakes to allow for the decimated population to recover.
This makes perfect sense and I like that Sportsmen are taking the lead on this. I guess I am talking about the government here but; why doesn't California take the lead in game managment and reduce the take to a single bird for a year or two. Even if they don't move to a draw they could reduce the legal limit in the regs? Seems this would allow for hunting opportunity as well as increase the population over time.

This makes perfect sense and I like that Sportsmen are taking the lead on this. I guess I am talking about the government here but; why doesn't California take the lead in game managment and reduce the take to a single bird for a year or two. Even if they don't move to a draw they could reduce the legal limit in the regs? Seems this would allow for hunting opportunity as well as increase the population over time.
Sprig could probably answer this better since he knows the politics more than I do, but my guess is because CA DFW doesn't care enough to act since turkeys are a transplanted non-native species. A big help would be to stop, at least for a short while, the fall hunting season here in SD county when any virtually any bird, including hens, are legal take.

Reactions: Bonejour
Sprig could probably answer this better since he knows the politics more than I do, but my guess is because CA DFW doesn't care enough to act since turkeys are a transplanted non-native species.

+1
BTW, welcome 5'SG, and thank you for your military service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu