Hello from Montana 2018

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Left last Sunday morning at 4:00 am.....At 11:00 pm, I rolled into my cousins yard in the Dearborn (between Helena & Great Falls).....Packed to the brim in the old Ford Exploder (best $1,500 I ever spent)….lol)….Trigger in his kennel and Beau the new puppy I got for Cousin Ron on the front seat.

Monday was a kind of a recovery day and going to get my licenses....$185.00 for upland & waterfowl....And of course, I had not attached my federal stamp yet (or hadn't received yet from CWA)….So had to buy that too for $25.00.

Yesterday, I drove some of the areas I had seen huns and sharpies in the past, but despite walking a few miles, I flushed a grad total of one sharpie....Wild shot threw the shelter belt and that was that...Did flush a number of pheasant....Which are so young in some cases it's hard to tell if they're sharpies ort not....Also drove over to Freezeout Lake W.A.....Not only is there a ton of water this year, but absolutely loaded with ducks.....Talked to the wildlife area manager and he said there was between 8-10,000 ducks....He figured about 10x more than last year....One other thing he told me while hunting huns & sharpies.....Look out for grizzlies....Me no likey charging bears....lol

Today was just a scouting day and I went some of the local stores (The lion is at Wal-Mart)....Hit Benton Lake NWR early and like Freezeout, it's jammed with waterfowl....And the hunting area is 3x bigger than last year....Lots of ducks that can't even fly....Especially gadwalls (pics)....They are known late nesters....Blue-wingers are as thick as the mosquitos up here....lol

Here's a few pix....We leave for Canada either tomorrow or Friday for Saturdays southern opener.

ps....The last pic is the best so far......lol

.017.JPG040.JPG005.JPG009.JPG026.JPG035.JPG040.JPG054.JPG047.JPG

Looks like an awesome trip so far and great pics Steve. Thanks for sharing as I am a jealous working man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us in the loop as much as possible Steve. Be safe my friend.

Beautiful country Steve, lots of wildlife. What are you hunting for?

More rain today and found out that the huns & sharpies took a beating this last winter (record snow)….Hence, walking miles for one flush.....So, it's scouting and more picture taking until Saturdays duck opener.

ps....Can you tell I'm in Montana in that 4th picture?.....lol

.023.JPG011.JPG028.JPG006.JPG017.JPG020.JPG028.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu