Heritage Fields

Crowded, how about, nuts to buttts crowded. Back when I use to hunt in Cal. we would sometimes, just for the hell of it go up to a place called the firing line. From the road, you had several rows deep of hunters. These guys were your, once a year hunter/shooters/drinkers. the last group were too sick from the night before to even get out of RV We went clear to the back row, just east of the 10 freeway. most of the guys in front of us were such bad shots we still got plenty of shooting. Game wardens had to go to reserve ticket book, it was a ticket rich environment.

Last edited:
Crowded, how about, nuts to buttts crowded. Back when I use to hunt in Cal. we would sometimes, just for the hell of it go up to a place called the firing line. From the road, you had several rows deep of hunters. These guys were your, once a year hunter/shooters/drinkers. the last group were too sick from the night before to even get out of RY. We went clear to the back row, just east of the 10 freeway. most of the guys in front of us were such bad shots we still got plenty of shooting. Game wardens har to go to reserve ticket book, it was a ticket rich environment.

Oh come on, John....This is what the dove opener is all about.......................... :joy:

ps...Always seemed to find a place away from the crowds...;)

.IMG_0115.JPG

Where we hunt , after many years to ourselves, people are starting to find the spot. Still few enough people to be able to spread out and get plenty of shooting. Some guys say, it opens on midweek, that will keep the crowds down, wrong.

Reactions: sportyg
Looks like an auto 5 except too new. U shot a decoy????????

john,

That's an Auto 5, 20 gauge...Circa 1965

Lee,

That's a great question and one that's been asked a million times...You can grow crops and mow under NORMAL farming practices and not be considered baiting...DFW grows wheat in those Heritage Fields and used to mow them...No farming involved (maybe there was)...Not sure, if they even grow wheat anymore...What I saw last year, appeared to be just volunteer stuff.

john,

Lee,

That's a great question and one that's been asked a million times...You can grow crops and mow under NORMAL farming practices and not be considered baiting...DFW grows wheat in those Heritage Fields and used to mow them...No farming involved (maybe there was)...Not sure, if they even grow wheat anymore...What I saw last year, appeared to be just volunteer stuff.
Same as on Cibola.

Reactions: ilovesprig
john,

Lee,

I love that gun. I had one my father left me, it was in 12 gauge. My shithead brother sold it and some of my other hunting and fishing gear while I was in the Navy.

• Sad
Reactions: ilovesprig
I love that gun. I had one my father left me, it was in 12 gauge. My shithead brother sold it and some of my other hunting and fishing gear while I was in the Navy.
My dad’s uncle had 2 A5s that were supposed to go to him but they ended up with one of his uncles relatives because he didn’t want to ask about them right after his uncle passed. He should just call his aunt and get in touch with his relative because they’re probably just gathering dust somewhere. It can’t hurt to ask, thats what I’d do.

My dad’s uncle had 2 A5s that were supposed to go to him but they ended up with one of his uncles relatives because he didn’t want to ask about them right after his uncle passed. He should just call his aunt and get in touch with his relative because they’re probably just gathering dust somewhere. It can’t hurt to ask, thats what I’d do.

When my old hunting partner Cal passed passed away, one of his guns was a broken down A-5, 12 gauge...Changed barrels (from full to mod), and fixed what was missing and broke...I think I may shoot it on the dove opener.

ps...Best find out about those old A-5's...They rust easily, if not stored properly.

When my old hunting partner Cal passed passed away, one of his guns was a broken down A-5, 12 gauge...Changed barrels (from full to mod), and fixed what was missing and broke...I think I may shoot it on the dove opener.

ps...Best find out about those old A-5's...They rust easily, if not stored properly.
Hunting with old guns is extra cool when they belonged to someone close. My dad has had an A5 for a long time, the stock cracked a few years ago. This is it before I was born.
569742DB-FEC5-40B1-86BB-FFE9D66B228A.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu