Hey everyone new member interested in upland and predators

Chris K

Jul 21, 2015
Imperial Valley
Hey everyone I recently have finally persuaded my mum to let me get into hunting after years of trying and finished the online portion of the hunter safety course and I'm going to the follow up class on aug 23. I have never "officially" hunted aside from pigeons with a air rifle. I don't have a gun yet I'm trying to save up for a 20 gauge shotgun ( sucks to be fourteen). I want to hunt for upland game and predators in Cleveland national forest or somewhere around campo or elcentro I am not looking for anybody's spots just general area. Where can I hunt in Cleveland and where are the acess points and is anyone willing to take me out, or give me some pointers? Thanks I am really glad be be on the site there is a lot of info.

Welcome Chris,

You're pretty limited to where and what you can hunt with a pellet gun (love shooting rabbits with mine). That said, you can hunt most anywhere in the Cleveland as long as you're at least 150 yds form any bldg, barn, or dwelling.

Lots of desert fringes to hunt in El Centro......Pass that class and we'll see if we can't hook you up with someone.

ilovesprig said:
Welcome Chris,

You're pretty limited to where and what you can hunt with a pellet gun (love shooting rabbits with mine). That said, you can hunt most anywhere in the Cleveland as long as you're at least 150 yds form any bldg, barn, or dwelling.

Lots of desert fringes to hunt in El Centro......Pass that class and we'll see if we can't hook you up with someone.
thank you for the info. I know I'm limited to what I can hunt with my air rifle it is a FX revolution in .25 cal that I use for feral rock doves at my grandmothers house.

Hello and welcome, I'm new to hunting myself, but not to firearms and shooting. I will throw out a recommendation that you become proficient with the particular firearm you plan to hunt with, before heading into the field. You want to know the patterning of the shot you're using, what kind of choke to use and how it'll affect your spread, get used to swinging and following a moving target, etc etc. Proficiency and sighting in of your firearm is an important part of hunting ethically, no matter what you're hunting and no matter what firearm you're using. That and tracking basics are good to know. At the end of the day, you don't want to wing something and have it get away, knowing that it's suffering. Other than that, happy hunting and best of luck!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Welcome Chris. Once you complete the course, you can get a license and hunt rabbits near where you live using your pellet rifle. The season for rabbits is July 1 - Jan 31. There are good threads here about how to handle them safely and clean/butcher them. Get yourself some meat for your table, and your mom will be glad she gave you permission to hunt. That will lead to more opportunities for you, including getting that shotgun you want. Before you go out hunting, you need to know how to do it safely, ethically, and legally. A hunter needs to know the daily bag and possession limits for each game animal he or she takes, so it makes sense to start small and then expand. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Welcome to the site and the adventure that is hunting. Really take to heart all suggestions and always remember safety is #1.

PM sent as well check your messages.

Chris K said:
Thank you all for the help and suggestions. My dad is taking me to buy a shotgun next week! I am paying for half

What you gettin'?..........870's are a great shotgun for the money and you can hunt anything with them.

+1 on the 870. I have that and a 760, the pump action 30-06 rifle that's really similar to the 870 shotgun. Both are from the 60's and they still shoot true.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

870ss are awsome. ive got a mossy 500 as well as an 870 i picked up used for $75.00 congrates and kudos for saving money and paying for 1/2 8)

Getting either an maverick M88 12 gauge or a 870 12 Gauge at turners, but I'm still looking for deals and trade. Thanks everyone for the support.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Chris K said:
Getting either an maverick M88 12 gauge or a 870 12 Gauge at turners, but I'm still looking for deals and trade. Thanks everyone for the support.
Hmm. I'm thinking of selling my 870...
Cool let me know if you decide to sell, I can also trade plastics for bass and other misc gear aswell

Chris K said:

Get the 870......Always available parts/accessories, chokes, and just a better gun overall.......26" barrel if they have one.......2 than 2 cents...... ;D

Chris K said:
Okay I'm going with the 870 hopefully I can get a deal on a used one
Congrats Chris. Used 870's come up on SCH all the time, at great prices. Good luck with your hunter safety... You should have time to pattern your SG before the dove opener.

Bonejour said:
Chris K said:
Okay I'm going with the 870 hopefully I can get a deal on a used one
Congrats Chris. Used 870's come up on SCH all the time, at great prices. Good luck with your hunter safety... You should have time to pattern your SG before the dove opener.
cool, thanks for telling me. I might hold off on buying one then.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu