Hi From Australia

s13tsilvia

Aug 21, 2014
Australia
Well as the title says, im from Australia and hunt basically anything that moves, ducks, pigs, foxes, cats, but mainly hunt our sambar deer with beagles and harriers over here!

The reason for me joining up to your forum is im coming over to California (Carlsbad) in december for work for a few weeks and want to get some hunting in, (ive never been to USA before and cant wait!!!!!). So after googling around this forum came up as my best bet for info etc on getting to go hunting.

So my question to everyone is, if im on limited time, ie weekend only hunting would my best bet be to get a guide for the weekend or try and arrange a meet with a friendly forum member?

I would love to either go dove shooting, deer or bear depending on cost..
I have no knowledge on your game laws, public lands etc whats required by me being an international tourist etc so costs and so on would also be a great help.

Im a Third generation hound hunter and have been hunting with hounds with my dad and grandfather since i could walk and its in my blood, we normally hunt in a team of upto 10 guys. Cant think of anything else to do in winter except go hunting.

Some of our dogs we run.
IMG_8511_zps6c58f4cb.jpg

Some action pics
Getting the deer out of the river
sambar2010002.jpg
sambar2010013.jpg

Snow hunting lol
IMAG0932_zps75ad1e50.jpg
IMAG0942_zpsf3911475.jpg

looking for fresh marks
IMAG0933_zps58d20e4b.jpg

coming home from hunting and this is standing in a paddock!
DSC03743_zps5ad0f5da.jpg

going across the wires to hunt another area!
10-17-2009_006640x480.jpg

Great pix.............Thanks for sharing................Make sure you bring proof that you've passed a hunters safety course.........I'm just assuming they'll except an out of country one........But this is California........ ;)

Go on line for requirements.........I live near Carlsbad.

California will accept a safety coarse that meets
IHEA-USA requirements so maybe out of county maybe not?

i will look into the safety course stuff, in australia we dont have courses, pretty much you just have a gun license and thats it.
You do need separate licenses to hunt certain animals etc but it appears nothing like what you have over there.....

Hunter education certification will require preliminary online work, then one entire weekend for the in-person training and subsequent test.
The firearm is another matter. Are you bringing your own shotgun/rifle? If so, you need to do paperwork with the federal bureau of ATF. You won't be able to purchase a firearm here.

Sent via Tapatalk

There are several options for the in-person classes in San Diego once you've taken the online course work. The dates that they publish for the courses aren't always accurate, but Doug and Michelle McClanahan run courses out of their home in Descanso. They can help you if you give them advance notice. For documentation of your online course completion, all you need is to print the summary certificate (not the quizzes). Michelle is a real sweetheart and will give you good info, but they don't always pick up so you may have to call more than once. Try email as well. Www.Dougswildernessadventures.com

Sent via Tapatalk

Anyone know if you can still take the test? (100 questions, at the DFG office) That's how I did it.

If she's an experienced hunter she probably knows everything she'd learn in the class anyway.

msteiger said:
Anyone know if you can still take the test? (100 questions, at the DFG office) That's how I did it.

If she's an experienced hunter she probably knows everything she'd learn in the class anyway.
Great point. I forgot to say you can call the San Diego office of California Fish and Wildlife:
California Department of Fish and Game
4949 Viewridge Ave, San Diego, CA 92123
http://goo.gl/maps/PJKS0
Phone: (858) 467-4201

Sent via Tapatalk

All of the above posts is why this site is so great! Always willing to help out and give info when you can, Kudos. Good luck and have fun on your trip from Australia.

A few years ago my dad came out from Japan and he was able to get a non res license by showing his Hunting license from Japan. It was no hassle and OTC at the DFG office here in San Diego. I also run dogs on hogs here in San Diego, its a lot of fun for sure.

By the way do you by chance drive a S13 Silvia?

yeah mate, i used to drive one back in young and silly days, i use the same name for all my forums, makes it easier to remember lol!

Awesome, I used to have a 180SX or known as a 240XS here in the states. Fun cars to drive.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu