How hot is too hot?

S

stikbrandon

Just bought a house in temecula in July, been up here for a few weeks now and it's starting to warm up.

How hot is too hot when it comes to leaving your dog out side? I have a dog run that I put her on for a few hours at a time to transition her from her kennel to the dog run while I leave to go food shopping ext....I have yet to leave her on it while im at work.My main concern is that she will over heat. Her kennel is in side the house that I keep cool cause I work out side when I come home I want it cool. I figure she would rather be out side in the shade than locked up in her kennel all day.

I have a back yard now and would like to only use here kennel for sleeping at night and not have to use it while I'm at work. Basically I don't want to use the kennel anymore but I'm concerned about the heat in the day.

I have plenty of shade threw out the day over the area the dog run is in

How hot is too hot?

My dogs love their kennels. What size kennel do you have?

My dog is 50 lb, she can stand up and lay down in it, she doesn't not like it but she does try to break out when we are not there. But that's a whole other issue,

I tell her crate and she goes right in, she sleeps in it every night and she goes and lays in it all the timeI just think she might be happier out side so she can use the grass and not have to hold it....

Some times I have to work late and I don't want her caged more than 10 hrs. Maybe I'm being stupid I don't know, I'm a first time dog owner

In general dogs can stand heat as long as it is not direct sunlight, so a shaded area (full time shade) with plenty of water should work in Temecula. If you are concerned that it may not be enough you could add a mister system but make sure they can get out of the spray if they want.

Are you putting your dog in a kennel or a dog crate? It sounds like a crate and leaving it in that all day is not a good thing.

All great advice! Cool water to drink can really help.

Dogs are just like us give her time to get use too the heat and she'll be fine. I have a buddy that lives in Winchester that has a GSP he stays outside with lots of shade and a small kid pool that he can lay in to cool off and he does fine. I think working the dog in the heat can be where I would worry. At a NAVHDA event a dog started to over heat she was doing the drag test and was getting confused not listening to commands and running to shade. We laid her down in a pool of cool water in the shade and feed her Gatorade to bring her temp down. She was fine but one of the judges was a little dramatic and gave everybody heated lecture on signs of overheating.

shade...some az misting and a kiddy pool and life is good.

Had a guy that wanted to join our group in mexico. He ran his springer hard during the early season and it het stroked and was DRT. He was not approved by the membership to come back

As many ditches that are down there that's just Crazy! My dog will wade in up to her belly when they get hot. Not to mention I'll dip them in if its hot while driving. I did buy the cooling fan for the dog box with the frozen pack it works pretty quick with their mouth open directly into the fans flow.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cyclone-2200-CFM-2-Speed-Portable-Evaporative-Cooler-for-500-sq-ft-PACCYC03/203704591/

This is what I do in temecula

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu