How much water for southern D Zones

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
Some of us go deep for a few days with everything on our back

How much water? I'm 1 gallon a day just to be on the safe side....normal usage 1/2-2/3 of a gallon per day.......but my friends are never prepared so I'm getting them to pick it up and need so info......

The more you move the more water your going to need. For me I tend to sit and glass most of the day, maybe moving to 3-4 different locations throughout the day.
If you guys spend any time scouting areas that you will be hunting later. Take extra water when scouting and store water in your area.

Reactions: Sdbirds
Hard to say how much water per day but I would take as much as I could. Like lung popper says, I would cache a couple along the way and pick them up on the way back.
But on me is at least 2-3 liters with another .5-1 liter bottle. I use a camelback and had it run dry once. Since then, I carry an extra bottle as a reserve. Remember that next time you bring someone new and they bring a camelback. Very deceiving since you can't see the amount you have consumed.
I also carry water filtration system if I know I will be out over a day and note in my GPS of any possible springs. Also good to include in your pre season scouting is to find constant water source.

Oh yeah, I will soon be scouting D12 so I need to be most aware about this issue.

I carry a gallon of water in my camelback. I also carry a water filter bottle. I guess it depends on where you are and what you are going to be doing. Water is heavy if there is water where you are headed and you can filter it why carry two gallons. But if there is no water pack at least one gallon a day. Nothing worst then rupturing a camelback or sitting on the mouth piece and draining half of it. I have done both btw. Below is a link to the filter bottles I use. If I am somewhere where there is a ton of water I don't even use a camelback I just throw a couple of these on the side of my pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Woder®-Survi...70692362&sr=1-18&keywords=water+filter+bottle

I done stupid shit in my life one of them is running out of water. and it sucks. honestly I have drank water in the middle of no where and never got sick. but that is not the case any more. let's face it we can not carry or (back pack) enough water. we have to make sure there is water some where. and with the drought here in southern cal. life is tough.

My water filter is the MSR hyper flow light and always in my pack.

Like a few have said I also carry a full 16oz water bottle as my backup for when the bladder goes dry.

I always drink at least half my body weight, in ounces, each day. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs you would drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. Mind you, I sweat a lot and do some sort of strenuous exercise every day in preparation for the season.

Prestage 5 gallons. Lasts me 5 days with a mix of sitting AM/PM and a few hours of still hunting during the day.after camp is pre staged, I generally carry in just water and weapon (1 gal per day).

1 gallon of water weights 8.32 Lbs, 1 gallon water = 128 oz American. 5 gallons = 41.6 lbs. lot to carry for some. I would say 1 gallon per day is required. to be safe.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu