How would you handle this?

8SteelTown

Went out Sunday morning to scout some spots. Was not doing any calling. Just glassing and observing. Went real quiet into a spot with a good vantage point and sat down on a rock. 2 minutes later and there's pup yips and bush rustling 20 feet in front of me. I'm almost sitting on top of a den. I stood up to see if I could see the bushes moving around, but a rock in front of me had my view blocked. Sounded like the noises and yips were getting closer by a couple feet so I just posted up, hoping they would come to either side of the rock for a 10 yard shot. No dice. They sat in there playing for over an hour. Never winded me. Decided to try to flank down and around for a better view but had to move super slow because how close I was and the branches all over the ground. Sat for 30 minutes and still the same. Then I had branches breaking to my 3:00 and my 9:00. Felt like this time I was being flanked. Either got winded or was heard and momma and poppa were coming up to find out what I was. Never got a visual of anything but my adrenaline was pumpin!

How would you have handled it? Should I have just backed out slowly and left or tried to get into position for a shot like I did?

Hearing pups I'd pass but maybe I'm a softy. But set up with a view of the den and smoke them

Sdbirds said:
Hearing pups I'd pass but maybe I'm a softy. But set up with a view of the den and smoke them

Ha! I'll take what I can get man!

How do I entice them out of the den without spooking them from being so close? There's nowhere to go but up from this den. Can't approach from the front or sides. I can get a higher vantage point but would that throw things off having the call come from such a high position? Maybe kill a rabbit or two before hand and drop it down on a line 10 yards out from the den ;D

I would have tried a pup distress and then wait for the attack:) or use a challenge call. Remember they want to protect the pups

When they ignor your call then I use bait to get them to committe.

I shot a small one last year felt bad lol. I'm over it but would try to avoid it in the future.

sluester said:
Were you trying to kill the pups?

No. I was just there to glass. Almost like getting caught with your pants down. Didn't expect any pups to come up the sides, but juveniles or adults, yeah I was hoping. Only had my shotgun on me... was planning on dropping some crows. With all the times I've been out and calling has silenced them, I was hoping for a little good luck to bring one out for me. Good to know the spot has some new pups now. Juveniles don't know NOT to run at my decoy full sprint without smelling the air first.

Early for pups but ya never know.

If it's open and I can see where they will exit I'll let my stink bust them. They almost always stop at 200 yards for a easy kill.

If it's tight cover I'll mouse squeak or bird chirp. Curiosity killed the yote more than once.

Ease up on your use of coyote sounds.

Read 475 e. Tells ya about bait

e) No feed, bait or other material capable of attracting a nongame mammal may be placed or used in conjunction with dogs for the purpose of taking any nongame mammals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an individual operating in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 from using a dog to follow a trap drag and taking the nongame mammal caught in that trap.

And here's the light law
§264. Use of Lights While Hunting--Specific Areas.
(a) Lights of any size or voltage may be used to take furbearing or nongame mammals only in the areas described in subsections (b) and (c) below, and only under the following conditions:
(1) The use of lights for night hunting is prohibited in any area where the general deer season is open.
(2) Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off. No spotlight may be used from a vehicle which is on a public road or highway.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu