Hunting Club

Feb 18, 2015
Tustin
After some scouting and speaking with the forest ranger I decided to give up on public land and joined a hunting club.
The ranger was so down on hunting in the federal forest I couldn't believe it.
He convinced me not to bother taking my rifle for a hike.
I joined Wilderness Unlimited. They have almost 100 private land agreements.
From great fishing and camping to big game and birds.
Trying to get my membership number so I can book a hunt in D10.

How exciting! I just googled the club and it looks like a great resource!

I look forward to hearing about your WU hunts!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I thought about that once. Then I kicked the sales guy out of my house for being a A-hole. Good luck.

TWC,

Congrats on joining WU...Hope it works out for you...Lots of waterfowling opps with them out in the IV.....:blush:

Depending on where you live, you may want to look into MCC (San Diego Co.) next time as well....;)

TWC,

Congrats on joining WU...Hope it works out for you...Lots of waterfowling opps with them out in the IV.....:blush:

Depending on where you live, you may want to look into MCC (San Diego Co.) next time as well....;)

I live in upper Orange County.
Not into birds but maybe in the future.
WU has about 7 properties in Imperial County for birds.
I plan on hunting in Kern county this season.

Definitely keep us posted on how your experience go's with them. I've heard mixed reviews from a few people that joined them.

Week days are good but the weekends are hard to get on. The further north you go the better the properties & openings to get on.

My buddy is a member hunted a few of the kern properties last year they were so so but the drought has been ruff on them.

I just stop being a member of wu, I strictly bowhunt and they have a couple of properties in kern that used to be archery only but they are going to let gun hunters starting this year it sounds like. So I no longer belong to wu. They cater to the northern part of the state, they even plant food plots up there, now if a person was retired this club would be great for a southern Cali person.
But I have hunted the 2 properties in tehachapi a lot so if you would like a little info send me a pm

Be prepared that if WU leased a good spot someone else can come, make a higher offer and then it is no longer a WU place. A lot of money too.

I thought about that once. Then I kicked the sales guy out of my house for being a A-hole. Good luck.

Same here!
I scheduled a meeting with a salesman a few years ago. Because I was engaged he said he would have to speak with both my fiancé (now wife) and I even though she would not be hunting. On the day he arrived she got held late and work and he REFUSED to even crack upon a brochure with me. Said I could schedule another meeting in a few months. I was blown away. Called and complained and they didn't see a problem with his behavior. Blasted their Facebook a few times and they suddenly felt like they should apologize for wasting my time. Left a bad taste in my mouth, if it's that hard to get the info, how difficult will it be to get on a ranch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sales guy also required that my wife be in on the "interview".
Thought that was strange. What if I didn't have a wife?
He said the membership was for both of us and we both had to agree to follow the rules and sign the contract.
He claimed it was for liability reasons to protect the land owners.
Could be true, the lawyers run the world now. One example was that a poacher got hurt on a farmers land and sued him.
Don't know if he won but the farmer had to defend himself. Sounds plausible.
It was expensive but I look at it as better than a time-share for camping, fishing and hunting.

Looked it up, sounds like timeshare haha. Good luck to you though! Sounds like the wife thing is a sales tactic. Relationship whip status aside, everybody reasonable man is going to talk to their significant other about s high expense. If she isn't resent to see the vision, it's easy to get talked out of it vice sign the dotted line on the spot.

Be prepared that if WU leased a good spot someone else can come, make a higher offer and then it is no longer a WU place. A lot of money too.
Yeah, but that happens everywhere in the world of hunting leases... Shoot happens in cattle leases as well. Do not let this steer you away from WU.

These are leases and animals move. Keep that in mind. Be realistic. Sometimes game will be on the property next door and WU may not have that lease.

Unless guaranteed in your contract some of these properties may seem "run down"... that is simply the nature of leases. I am sure in most of these instances their lease is strictly a hunting lease.

Out here there are rich people from town who even out bid landowners for leases.

Once landowners start getting money for leases it is hard for them ever to go back to allow the normal guy.

WU is awesome for what it is, but be realistic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't care for it. I see more deer on public than I ever did on WU. And I walked every ranch and glassed everything I could.

Reactions: BakoHNTR
Same here!
I scheduled a meeting with a salesman a few years ago. Because I was engaged he said he would have to speak with both my fiancé (now wife) and I even though she would not be hunting. On the day he arrived she got held late and work and he REFUSED to even crack upon a brochure with me. Said I could schedule another meeting in a few months. I was blown away. Called and complained and they didn't see a problem with his behavior. Blasted their Facebook a few times and they suddenly felt like they should apologize for wasting my time. Left a bad taste in my mouth, if it's that hard to get the info, how difficult will it be to get on a ranch!

Got a phone call from the salesmen yesterday congratulating me for being accepted to the club.
I picked up the phone and called the club to book a hunt. Didn't even have my member number yet.
They looked it up, booked my hunt and answered a bunch of questions I had.
Really easy, they were very helpful.
After one question the guy on the phone didn't have an answer for, he gave me the phone number to their SoCal Land Management office.
Turns out he is one of the owners and founding member, Joe.
Great guy, great experience, hopefully it will be a great hunt.
( I was given to same line you were about the spouse till she woke up from a nap and joined us)

Got a phone call from the salesmen yesterday congratulating me for being accepted to the club.
I picked up the phone and called the club to book a hunt. Didn't even have my member number yet.
They looked it up, booked my hunt and answered a bunch of questions I had.
Really easy, they were very helpful.
After one question the guy on the phone didn't have an answer for, he gave me the phone number to their SoCal Land Management office.
Turns out he is one of the owners and founding member, Joe.
Great guy, great experience, hopefully it will be a great hunt.
( I was given to same line you were about the spouse till she woke up from a nap and joined us)

That's good to hear! Sounds like they might have worked out whatever issues they had a few years ago. Please keep us posted on your experience.

What ranch are you hunting in kern I live in tehachapi so I am curious

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu