Hunting food help?

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
Hi all, I am new to hunting and hunting this weekend. I was wondering what kind of food or skacks I should take out for myself for a 2 to 3 day hunt? Thanks.

IMHO: Depends what you're hunting, where you're hunting it, and how you'll be moving... if you're going to stick pretty close to camp and can use a cooler, it doesn't really matter too much. If you're hunting something that has acute sense of smell, probably want to avoid stinky or lingering foods.

IMHO for snacks: Keep your sugar consumption low. Granola bars, jerkey, nuts, dried fruits. You want high calories but lower sugar as to avoid peaks and crashes. Plenty of water! Probably want to avoid heavily processed foods like bags of chips too.

Everyone has their own tried and true foods and you can probably get away with eating / packing whatever you have room and need for. Keep it simple. I'll pack up 3 sandwiches for each day and keep them all in a cooler so they don't get funky. If you're leaving from camp, pack up snacks and water.

Be safe out there ktkheatsfan. Make sure you tell someone like a friend or family where you're going in the event you get lost or something happens.

Yea like 8ST said, if you've got a camp then u can get as elaborate as u want. Different story on backpacking hunts though. For me I stick to whats compact and filling, like bars, peanut butter, and jerky. Don't forget the water.

I am taking a backpack. Yeah I was thinking jerky and granola bars but didn't really know what else I should take. I am glad I asked because 8SteelTown gave me some advice that I didn't know about food on how to avoid crashes and high and low calories! Yeah I told my sister in law where I am going to be hunting and when to expect me back!

If you're backpacking in somewhere get a cheap MSR back pack stove with a little cup you can boil water in and buy some Mountain Houses, a big 5 or Walmart should have both...
For snacks, I like cliff bars and jerky sticks.

Here is my standard meal list on all backpacking trips or backpack hunts:

Breakfast- Two packets of oatmeal
Lunch- Tuna & crackers or other snack foods like jerky, trail mix, energy bars, dehydrated fruit, peanut butter cups and sliced apple etc.
Dinner- Mountain House
Desert- Snickers bar

Donuts at dark-thirty, Pop-tart mid morning, and duck jerky mixed in till lunch for a morning hunt.....Not many all day hunts nowadays....... ;D

Oatmeal an subs via for breakfast
Ph&ejected for lunch
Mt house for dinner

Beef jerky for snacks

More water than you think you will need.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu