hunting information

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
Hi all, me and my brother are looking for some duck and goose hunting sorts but we can't find any public land to hunt in socal we where wondering if anyone would mind helping us out? Any information would be of help thanks.

There's a number of places in SoCal.......With San Jacinto WA and Wister WA being the most popular......You also have much of the Salton Sea and Lake Henshaw here in SD.......There still some duck hunting at Barrett Lake as well.

San Jacinto WA

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfg.ca.gov%2Flands%2Fwa%2Fregion6%2Fsanjacinto%2F&ei=LhrjU_mmDY6nyASW-IDoCA&usg=AFQjCNEu8JUTYaaaciWnx-oMnBMjht0_ig&sig2=lVgMQQweapJJo5QArSgJWA

Wister WA

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfg.ca.gov%2Flands%2Fwa%2Fregion6%2Fimperial.html&ei=dBrjU4upMcGUyASKyICwDA&usg=AFQjCNHOp5dpEckR_hTWD8dAwKYJ0KcxSQ&sig2=uDcPytOUM1I3xXRBjH6JxA&bvm=bv.72676100,d.aWw

Awesome thanks for the help! You wouldn't know where I could find some public turkey land as well would you?

ktkheatsfan said:
Awesome thanks for the help! You wouldn't know where I could find some public turkey land as well would you?

I would.......If you live in SD Co. (or if you don't). There's a spring turkey tune-up at Lake San Vicente that will offer hunts at Lake Sutherland. NWTF will be there with maps and directions to public land hunting........I think the date is Feb. 21, 2015

Also, NWTF has monthly meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month at CoCo's in La Mesa (6:00 pm).......I always try to help anyone that attends and helps with the NWTF events.

Attachments

• 2014 STTU Flyer.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 15
Ya they said that they will send a flyer out in late October to my email. I don't live in SD I'm in the desert about 2 hours away from there but don't mind the drive. The address to that Coco's you are referring to is the address 5550 Lake Murray Blvd, La Mesa, CA? I am going to try to attend next month. Also is it car friendly or do I need a truck to access the location?

Not trying to discourage you, but 2 hours is a long ways away for just a meeting.......CoCo's is a restaurant, if that's what you're referring too......And yes, that's the address.......The next meeting is August 26th.

There's also a fall tune-up. The tentative date is Oct 11th.......Same place as the spring tune-up.....San Vicente Lake parking area.

Ya I know it's a long drive but I've talked to some people and it's seems the only way I can get good info is to find someone that is willing to talk which isn't very often or to go to meetings where they talk about it. So I think if I really want to get a good turkey hunting spot other then finding the time to go scout my options are limited.

My 2 Cents:

That's the quandary we all face as hunters. Nobody wants to give you their spots because they worked hard to find those spots and the spots are becoming less and less available. You need to do the research and leg work yourself. Most of the hunters on here were privileged enough to be hunting their whole lives or have a father / mentor to bring them up in the sport. Very difficult for newbs starting late to get the information they want. Gotta do the leg work (meaning online research, purchasing maps, and scouting and recognizing terrains, game locations, and techniques). Don't get frustrated. I've been hunting for a few years now and I learn something new pretty much every single time I go out. There are more and more So Cal hunters starting new each year with no idea where to go or what to do and just asking for spots which makes the veteran hunters trepidacious. You're going about it the correct way to do anything you can to get your foot in the door. Good luck.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Being the first two hunters in the family is hard when all your family and friends laughs at you when you go out on a deer hunt and don't come back with a deer. Also my friends are hunters too but since he's older he doesn't look at us as hunters until I went out and got a hog now all he wants is the hog spot and I just laugh back at him!

ktkheatsfan said:
Thank you for the words of encouragement! Being the first two hunters in the family is hard when all your family and friends laughs at you when you go out on a deer hunt and don't come back with a deer. Also my friends are hunters too but since he's older he doesn't look at us as hunters until I went out and got a hog now all he wants is the hog spot and I just laugh back at him!

I know how it is... I started hunting because my best friend was hunting and told me how awesome it was. I was instantly hooked. People that don't hunt just don't get it... my mother inlaw still asks if I'm going out to catch some dove ;D hahaha "Did you catch any???" Too funny. It's hard hunting around here and it's going to test your patience. Stay on it and when you discover a cool spot, you may want to tell people about it... refrain from giving any details or pictures that may give away evidence. There was this guy on this site that would constantly respond to my posts that he knew my spots and really pissed me off. Now, I'll just post kill pics but nothing else. If you REALLY want to tell someone where your spot is, feel free to send me a PM!! Keep on!

Ya I've seen a couple of people post I know where that spot is that kinda sucks if you've done all the work yourself and if people know where your spot is just by a pic lol maybe if I am going to post a pic I'll take it in my house lol. I'll do my best not to say lol I look at it and say hey if you want to help me I'll help you but I guess in hunting it always doesn't go that way.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu