Hunting is Los Padres

Feb 18, 2015
Tustin
Heading to the forest next weekend to do some scouting.
Haven't been there before. Thought I would try Reyes Peak and Pine Mountain area.

Anyone have any experience in Los Padres Forest?
Any thought on a location to scout?

Yup. I grew up hunting hiking and off-roading in Los Padres. It's been hit HARD by the dry spell. Used to be you could not go 20yard with out running into small game and quail and an hour would not go by with out seeing at least a doe. Lately like all places you need to get WAAAY away. Find water. It's a mad house opening week so be careful. Very hot and very dry with little water sources if you had a filter so take water. Pine mountain is better then lock wood but it is very steep and rough. Reyes has water usually year round

I figured water would be the most important thing.
It looked like Reyes would have it.
We'll see how it goes, head out early Sat morning.
I understand the camp grounds are first come. How I can get a spot.

At Reyes you just show up and grab a spot. Make sure you have your stupid adventure pass for the campground.

You can also camp out just about anywhere. Keep an eye out for quail and let us know how they are looking.

Reactions: 2dogs1name
Reyes Peak bowhunting? Lol, enjoy those overhanging branches on the trail. But you can spot long tail, right? Done it a million times before.

One other thing. Los Padres does hold turkey. Even the southern areas you are talking about. Not many and they are hard to find but they are there. Keep an ear out. With hard work and a little luck you may find yourself a turkey spot.

One other thing. Los Padres does hold turkey. Even the southern areas you are talking about. Not many and they are hard to find but they are there. Keep an ear out. With hard work and a little luck you may find yourself a turkey spot.

A number of turkeys were trapped here in east county and released in Los Padres NF in the mid 90's.....They were all released on public, but made it to private soon thereafter.

Didn't go to Reyes, stopped before I got there Saturday.
Did stop at Reyes on the way home Sunday.
Glad I didn't go there first. Full of people and in a deep canyon.
Would have been a bear hiking out of that.
Camped at Pine Springs. No water there.
Well I didn't see any turkeys or deer or bear or coyote.
Did see lots of tracks and scat of bear, deer and coyote.
It is really dry dry up there. Even very few birds.
Did see quite a few rabbits.
I think next trip I will go further south.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu